Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Generic pool finishes

1. Back To Top    #1

Generic pool finishes

We like the idea of upgrading the pool surface from a basic plaster to something that will last longer before needing to be resurfaced. My understanding is that quartz aggregates like Diamondbrite or Quartzscapes add some longevity, but pebble adds significantly more. Is that correct?

If we determine pebble is the best and we don't mind the added roughness (I would appreciate firsthand opinions on this too, please!), we are wondering if we can get a good result by using a generic pebble instead of name brand like Pebble Tec for the cost savings. I know there would be a warranty difference, but if we are not attached to a brand name, might this be a good option?
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Generic pool finishes

Stick with top brand like CLI, or NPT if you really want Pebble and don't want a PT price. Comparable, or arguably better than PT is WetEdge, so that might be an option to consider. Likely not a lot of savings, but possibly some. Quartz is a fantastic option for in between plaster and pebble, so don't dismiss it entirely. I love mine, and would likely choose it again over pebbles.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you, Patrick, for your insight. How does your quartz feel on your feet? I've heard it is rougher than plaster but not as rough as pebble. Is that your experience?
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

4. Back To Top    #4

It's actually smoother than some older plaster pools I've been in. Worlds smoother than any pebble finish for sure. Even the micro fine pebble finishes. It's very nice.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Look at http://www.ecopoolfinish.com this is a plastic finish that chemical balances won't bother
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

6. Back To Top    #6

It's more of a grainy feeling to me
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.