I'm new to the forums and new to being a pool owner. Unfortunately, I was "pool-stored" for the two months or so of pool ownership before discovering this website. The two months I've owned the home the water has looked clear (once it became cloudy but cleared up with store product) but I've had unusually high levels of chlorine loss. Just got my Taylor 2006 kit and discovered my cya was not the 100 I was told, but actually 160! I just did an overnight chlorine loss test. At 10pm my fc was 4.5 (which I know now is low for my cya) with cc being .4. This morning, at 6am, the levels were 3.0 fc and .4cc. According to pool school, with an overnight loss over 1ppm, i have something lurking in the water and I need to shock.
1. With such high cya, is this even practical to shock (exceeding 50 ppm) then maintain chlorine levels in the teens or should I use reverse osmosis? I can't drain because we're in Phoenix. I was quoted about 325.
2. If I'm able to shock successfully, what kind of liquid chlorine costs am I looking to incur by maintaining chlorine levels in the teens until I can drain in cooler temperatures? Will I end up spending that 325 in additional chemical maintenance costs over the next five months?
I thank all of you in advance for your advice.
10,590 chlorine pool.