Feel like I'm adding too much chlorine

Jul 8, 2015
Youngstown, OH
Hi everyone,
I'm a new forum member and a new pool owner. I never owned a pool before but the house we just bought has a large, in-ground vinyl pool. When purchased they were running baquacil but after reading several threads here, learning the cost to upkeep the baq, and finding out we had water mold already I decided to do the switch. We used shock to get the switch over but that resulted in a pretty high CH reading but I'm hoping that over time this will go down do to fairly regular backwashes and replenishment.

The problem now is I'm trying to do the BBB method but I seem to be adding a lot of bleach all the time. I got a good test kit and found everything but the CH to be pretty typical but every evening I test the chlorine level and have to add a couple gallons of bleach (at this rate it won't be much cheaper than baq). I was just wondering if this was typical since I've read some others are adding a couple cups a day. Here's the pool and chemistry details:
TA=150
pH=7.5
CYA=40
CC/FC=0

roughly 25000 gallon, in-ground vinyl pool with 200# sand filter (new sand, I replaced after the baq conversion)

The pool sat idle for a while because we were getting the concrete around it replaced and they had it covered to keep concrete chips out so I was worried maybe I had some algae growing but my chlorine measurements are the same in the morning after adding bleach the night before. It seems the sun is killing off all of the chlorine, especially since there wasn't any cover with the pool when we bought the house.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any advice.

If your chlorine is going to zero every day then something is consuming the chlorine. This evening bring the pool to shock level and test it after dark. Test again before full sun is on the pool and if you lost more than 1ppm of FC you have something in the pool consuming chlorine and need to complete the SLAM process .

Welcome to the forum. How much full sun does that pool get daily? How much FC in ppm do you lose daily? 25k gallons ain't exactly a wading pool either! Consider taking your CYa level to 50 or even 60.

Welcome!

Something is going on still. Are you certain you cleared all the Baqua? If so, you may have a nascent Alagae bloom going on under your nose, and that would create a high demand. Whatever the case, you seem to have something besides Sun consuming the FC. Take another FC reading 30 minutes after your next addition, and see what it is. I would suggest an overnight test as well to see where you are. Add enough Chlorine to reach 16 or so PPM FC, test when there is no Sun on the Pool, and again in the morning BEFORE Sun is back on the pool, and see what the loss is. You simply may need to SLAM the pool, but doing these things will help determine that for certain. See the link for the OCLT below.

Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

See this article: Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine

Essentially, you need to complete the Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain process as well as when you're near the end of the SLAM process, change out your filter media for brand new whether it be sand, DE or cartridge.

Update your forum signature so you can get better advice now and in the future. Click on Settings on the upper right of the page, then Edit Signature on the left side of the next page. Include your pool size, pool surface, filter type, etc. Check out other users' signatures for ideas.

Hi everyone,
I'm a new forum member and a new pool owner. I never owned a pool before but the house we just bought has a large, in-ground vinyl pool. When purchased they were running baquacil but after reading several threads here, learning the cost to upkeep the baq, and finding out we had water mold already I decided to do the switch. We used shock to get the switch over but that resulted in a pretty high CH reading but I'm hoping that over time this will go down do to fairly regular backwashes and replenishment.

The problem now is I'm trying to do the BBB method but I seem to be adding a lot of bleach all the time. I got a good test kit and found everything but the CH to be pretty typical but every evening I test the chlorine level and have to add a couple gallons of bleach (at this rate it won't be much cheaper than baq). I was just wondering if this was typical since I've read some others are adding a couple cups a day. Here's the pool and chemistry details:
TA=150
pH=7.5
CYA=40
CC/FC=0

roughly 25000 gallon, in-ground vinyl pool with 200# sand filter (new sand, I replaced after the baq conversion)

The pool sat idle for a while because we were getting the concrete around it replaced and they had it covered to keep concrete chips out so I was worried maybe I had some algae growing but my chlorine measurements are the same in the morning after adding bleach the night before. It seems the sun is killing off all of the chlorine, especially since there wasn't any cover with the pool when we bought the house.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any advice.
Your Total Alkalinity is a little high and calcium hardness doesn't matter much in a vinyl lined pool.

I also just did a conversion, so I'm just brainstorming with you...

Are you sure you converted fully? That is to say are you positive there is no residual BQ in the water? You need to clean crevices around the stairs, returns, light cavity (take out the light), underside of ladder steps, etc. Anywhere that is exposed to water and not watertight. If you have fiberglass stairs, the liner is possibly connected with screws behind a plastic guard. The guard can be pried out of the groove and cleaned. Do you have a mold ring around your stairs? If so that can be cleaned with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and elbow grease. Did you change out the sand too quickly?

How much sun do you get? Perhaps your CYA should be bumped closer to 50.

Also along with your water volume, the age and concentration of bleach affects quantity added. Fresh regular bleach has a concentration of between 3-6%. Concentrated Bleach = 8.25%, and liquid chlorine is concentrated to 10-12.5%. Regardless of brand or concentration, all bleach degrades with time and temperature.

Finally, to what level of chlorination are you trying to reach? At 25,000 gallons and a CYA of 40, 1.5 jugs (121 oz) of 8.25% bleach will get you to 5 ppm, well within the target range. It really might just be the size of your pool.

As I said I'm just brainstorming with you as a fellow convert, so perhaps a more experienced TFP'er can lend more insight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.