I'm a new forum member and a new pool owner. I never owned a pool before but the house we just bought has a large, in-ground vinyl pool. When purchased they were running baquacil but after reading several threads here, learning the cost to upkeep the baq, and finding out we had water mold already I decided to do the switch. We used shock to get the switch over but that resulted in a pretty high CH reading but I'm hoping that over time this will go down do to fairly regular backwashes and replenishment.
The problem now is I'm trying to do the BBB method but I seem to be adding a lot of bleach all the time. I got a good test kit and found everything but the CH to be pretty typical but every evening I test the chlorine level and have to add a couple gallons of bleach (at this rate it won't be much cheaper than baq). I was just wondering if this was typical since I've read some others are adding a couple cups a day. Here's the pool and chemistry details:
roughly 25000 gallon, in-ground vinyl pool with 200# sand filter (new sand, I replaced after the baq conversion)
The pool sat idle for a while because we were getting the concrete around it replaced and they had it covered to keep concrete chips out so I was worried maybe I had some algae growing but my chlorine measurements are the same in the morning after adding bleach the night before. It seems the sun is killing off all of the chlorine, especially since there wasn't any cover with the pool when we bought the house.
Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any advice.