Help with Chemicals

DGS

Jun 23, 2015
memphis tn
Recent pool owner.

Initial posts covered that I had zero Chlorine and CYA.
Found that Pentair Chlorinator elbow was full of gunk so it was replaced. Works fine now. Added 8 lbs. CYA to pool.
Half of CYA never really dissolved in water so I just dumped that half into pool. The other half I used socks in skimmers. They dissolved fine.
The subsequent readings always showed low CYA. Planned to wait a week to see if it came up to acceptable level.

My next posts covered losing water in pool. 4" in one day. 6" next day. Found that the Multiport rubber divider for chambers was bent over between filter and waste. Fixed that and problem solved.

Here is third issue-
2 days ago DH was addressing algae issue and dumped in 5 lbs. of shock on top of my 3+ lbs.

I started emptying pool to waste and refilling-between this and the multiport issue probably 1/3 or more of the pool water has been replaced over the last 5 days.

As of last night from Taylor 2006 DPD FAS
Chlorine was still really high (too high to register on Pentair Rainbow)and so was CYA (vial was filled but black dot still there.
FC 6.5
CC .5
pH 7.4
TA 80
Ch 100
CYA 80+ (i quit wasting the powder)

Here are test reults for Leslies and the premier pool guys in this area from last night:

As of last night:
Leslies:
FC 4
TC 4
CH 180
TA 70
pH 7.4
Copper 0
Iron 0
CYA 0
Phosphates 200

Pool Sharks
FC 3.96
TC 4.34
CC .38
pH 7.3
CH 102
TA 61
CYA 21
Copper 0
Iron 0

I took it the the "store guys" bc I was new to the DPD FAS and wanted some type of verification (read HOPE).

Last night Chlorine was still high but had come down. I did add about 10 lbs of baking soda.

As of this morning here are the #'s:
FC 9
CC 1
TA 100
pH 8
I didn't do the CH or CYA but I can. I just fear I will be out of CYA today!!! (on a fixed income here-Senior Citizen)

I read somewhere that true CYA can be misread due to other #'s???? Or did CYA go away when the pool water was replaced??? A memeber to my first post said my Chlorine tabs had CYA so I should not have been getting 0 then but since chlorinator was working back then it seems to make sense that I got a 0. Since it has been working for like 2 weeks shouldn't I have residual CYA from the tabs? Or did that go with the water replacement?

Once I get this issue resolved I plan to SLAM. Again.

Thanks for any and all help!

Last edited:
Good morning DGS! You've been busy. :) I see your latest comment "As of last night", but there are no numbers. :confused: Also, no need to tell us the readings of any pool store. We only need your Taylor K-2006 or 2005 w/ supplemental FAS-DPD readings. By the way, not sure what exactly you used, but we don't advise dumping-in "shock" - we rely primarily on bleach. Pool store products cause ill effects on other chemical levels (i.e. CYA). So be careful if you did in-fact use a pool store "shock" product. Post a full set of readings and we can help you further. Have a nice day.

Thanks for the quick reply!
I hit enter too soon on my original post bt have now posted the #'s.
I know that the pool store #'s aren't held in high regard but a lot of them do mirror my results with Taylor 2006 DPD FAS and since I was new to kit I thought I could at least "compare" just to see if they were in the ballpark (totally justifying here :) ). Especially the CYA issue. I have tested it 3 times over the last 48 hrs and am now down to one container that will do about 3 more tests and then I will be out of it.

- - - Updated - - -

If it helps-it stormed last crazy over the prior week and has been HOT and sunny (UV over 100) for about a week.
The pool is surrounded by Crepe Myrtles and other trees but we net it and clean skimmers all the time. OCD!

Also-How do I amend my signature with more info about pool and equipment???

Thanks a million!!!!

DGS, I noticed you said this

"As of last night from Taylor 2006 DPD FAS
Chlorine was still really high (too high to register on Pentair Rainbow)and so was CYA (vial was filled but black dot still there."
FC 6.5
CC .5
pH 7.4
TA 80
Ch 100
CYA 80+ (i quit wasting the powder)

You are doing everything fine except you have the CYA backwards.. The more the vial fills the less CYA you have... If you can still see the black dot at the bottom and the vial is filled you have 0 CYA... Yes, water replacement is taking the CYA out...

Also, you can modify your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later.

DGS, I noticed you said this

You are doing everything fine except you have the CYA backwards.. The more the vial fills the less CYA you have... If you can still see the black dot at the bottom and the vial is filled you have 0 CYA... Yes, water replacement is taking the CYA out...

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I knew something was up but that makes perfect sense.
:D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.