Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: T-3 cell died, time for upgrade

1. Back To Top    #1

T-3 cell died, time for upgrade

I have a 9k gallon pool. when I purchased the house it had a T-cell-3, which I knew was just undersized for the pool. it finally gave out on me end of last week. FC went to zero and started troubleshooting and its the cell that went bad. not producing chlorine anymore, cleaned it, reset the controller, etc. tested the water direct from return jets and no FC above background.

time to upgrade, but not sure to go with the T-cell-9 or the T-cell-15.

the T-9 can be found for $285, and the T-15 for $350.

I think the T-9 is plenty big for my pool, but I am leaning to the T-15. I can replaced 3ppm of daily FC loss with the T-15 by running my pump for 5 hrs and the SWCG at 65% or so.
    to get the same from the T-9 I would have to increase the pump run time and/or %.

thoughts?
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: T-3 cell died, time for upgrade

I'm all for the larger T-15 cell for your exact reasoning, less pump run time. Make sure the board supports a T-15 cell before you buy it.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    I'm all for the larger T-15 cell for your exact reasoning, less pump run time. Make sure the board supports a T-15 cell before you buy it.
    yes, first thing I checked. my software is R1.58 so I should be good to go
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

4. Back To Top    #4

Note: All AquaRite boards support the T-15. All other cells work with r1.50 or later software revisions.

I'm pretty sure that r1.40 boards can use a T-5 by using a jumper on the circuit board.

The AquaTrol uses a T-5 cell. I don't think that it can use any other cell.