Need advice on replacement for SWG - Hayward T-CELL 15

mguzzy

Gold Supporter
Re: need advice on replacement for SWG - Hayward T-CELL 15

So my T-Cell-15 looks like it has finally given up the ghost.. it ran for over 9 years! I think I got a good run out of it. So off to the Internet to search for a replacement and I found you'all!

Should I go with the aftermarket ones or stick with another replacement Hayward unit? Here's what I've found in prices:
Chlorinator Pro CP-15- $269 w/ 2yr warranty
TI-3- $364 w/3yr warranty
Hayward T-Cell-15- $369 w/3yr warranty

The Chlorinator Pro warranty is now 2yrs, I guess it used to be three. And I read lots of stories of the CompuPool units not get much more that 2yrs of life. Not read anything about the longevity of the TI-3.. Given the difference in price I'm almost more inclined to go with another Hayward.

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?
TIA

Fixed typo per DaninFLA's post

Last edited:
definitely do not go down in size to the T-cell-5 from the 15. how big is your pool? if the 15 was working good, stay with that. as far as prices go, you are finding very high ones.

you can get an open box T-cell-15 from Amazon warehouse for about $350 without the full 3 year warranty, or brand new for $409 (w/ 3 year warranty)

definitely do not go down in size to the T-cell-5 from the 15. how big is your pool? if the 15 was working good, stay with that. as far as prices go, you are finding very high ones.

you can get an open box T-cell-15 from Amazon warehouse for about $350 with the full 3 year warranty, or brand new for $409.

@DaninFLA:That was a typo.. I meant T-Cell-15

I'll look for the open box ones on Amazon.

Thanks all-so what I'm think I getting is that the off brand cells will likely not run as long. Even though the T13 advertises that it will run longer.

Mark
BTW this was supposed to be a post in an existing thread. Not sure how it ended up as another thread.

@DaninFLA:That was a typo.. I meant T-Cell-15

I'll look for the open box ones on Amazon.

Thanks all-so what I'm think I getting is that the off brand cells will likely not run as long. Even though the T13 advertises that it will run longer.

Mark
BTW this was supposed to be a post in an existing thread. Not sure how it ended up as another thread.

I just bought a T-15 from Amazon yesterday, decided to not go with the open box items. its unclear based that Hayward would provide warranty since its not "new" and Amazon Warehouse deals do NOT include warranty. for me, it wasn't worth the $50 of savings....so I spent the full $408 for brand new.

If I ever had 9 years of performance from a cell I would never leave that brand. Go with another T-15 if you want the longer life span over the smaller sized cells.

So are you saying I can expect to get another 9 years out of the next cell? (it will be in the same conditions). I didn't know if I just got lucky or is the build quality of the Haywards that much superior to other brands.
Mark

Does any one have any experience with the extended life T-Cell-15 compared to the regular T-Cell-15? They seemed comparably priced (at least on Amazon). The Hayward website indicates it will generate 25% more chlorine over the life of the cell, whatever that means. Does that translate to lasting longer than the regular T-cell-15? And are they interchangeable with the controllers? I saw a similar question asked about the difference between these cells but there really wasn't an answer that I saw.
Mark

So are you saying I can expect to get another 9 years out of the next cell? (it will be in the same conditions). I didn't know if I just got lucky or is the build quality of the Haywards that much superior to other brands.
Mark
What I meant is that I would be perfectly happy to have had a cell last 9 years and there would be no reason for me to even think about switching to another brand of cell since I would be 100% satisfied with the Hayward brand cell. To save a few bucks on a different brand of cell after 9 years of use wouldn't even cross my mind. That is not to say the other brands would not last just as long or longer, it's just that I would be happy with Hayward's performance and I would keep my loyalty with Hayward.

I had the option of getting the LL cell when I bought my Hayward SWG recently and I opted for the standard T-15 cell. The LL cells probably have more plating on the plates to make it last longer and generate more chlorine over its lifespan compared to the standard T-15 cell. The price difference where I bought the unit from didn't make the LL cell worth the difference between the two cells. Both cells should have 3 year warranties, but look out for the ones that have one year warranties. All T-15 cells are compatible.

I don't think your SWG was the exception for the long life as I have seen many Hayward's with 7+ years of life out of the cell. Hopefully you will get the same performance out of your new cell no matter which brand you get.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for your insights ping. I understand you comment, I just didn't know if there was anything newer/better/improved out there since I have to get a new cell anyway. The more I read up on evaluations of other Cells I'm thinking the off brand ones have just not been around long enough to have much track record (on the order of 5-7 years).

I noticed the LL cells listed on Amazon and Hayward's website has them both listed. So if I find a good price on an LL I guess I'll get one.

Good point on the 3yr warranty. I'm starting to notice in the fine print on Amazon/eBay that not all the T-Cell-15's are showing a three year warranty. I wonder if those units are seconds or surplus units that have been sitting in a warehouse long enough that Hayward won't warranty them the same. I'll make sure I inquire with the vendor on that before I purchase. I hope DanInFla double checked the warranty with the vendor on his Amazon purchase.

TIA
Mark

Good point on the 3yr warranty. I'm starting to notice in the fine print on Amazon/eBay that not all the T-Cell-15's are showing a three year warranty. I wonder if those units are seconds or surplus units that have been sitting in a warehouse long enough that Hayward won't warranty them the same. I'll make sure I inquire with the vendor on that before I purchase. I hope DanInFla double checked the warranty with the vendor on his Amazon purchase.

TIA
Mark

i did some research, there are a few T-15s on Amazon. the ones with a "W" in them (i.e. T-cell-15-W) are only warranted for 1 year by Hayward. the standard T-15 one is 3 years. there is only a $25 difference between the two so i went with the full 3 year version. Amazon's website is not accurate and you cant base it on it. I went to the Hayward website and found the information. in the end it doesn't matter what Amazon (or anyone else) says what the warranty is...if its past 30 days on Amazon, you are going to be dealing with the manufacturer, so what they say is the warranty is what matters.
check this out, will clear up some confusion: http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/warranty/2014StandardWarrantyReg2-PPO01.pdf

the vendor i bought from Amazon said the warranty is only 1 year if not professionally installed but he is wrong. its tricky, you got to read the full thing. different warranties on some items for being installed professionally or not, and some differences for inground/above ground.

on the link, you will see the designation/callouts for the different cells that are either 1 year or 3 year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.