Recommendations for pool service company in Tucson, AZ

Jul 8, 2015
Tucson, AZ
We just recently purchased a home with an 18,000 gallon pebbletec pool. When we looked at the house, the pool was clear, two days before we moved in it had gone green and cloudy. The owners attempts to clear it up by using all kinds of algecide, etc. from Leslie's suggestion, but it only made it less green but still cloudy. After reading many suggestions on this site, I shocked the pool with liquid chlorine and it has definitely cleared up to where it is now mostly clear. I had a company come by today (Arizona Pima Chem) and they used 100% gas chlorine. I am fine with the concept as it does not introduce other things, but the tech told me my CYA tested at 100 at the start, and that he was adding more CYA to bring it to 120 because it makes the chlorine hold better. He then went on to state that the target is to keep FC at 5 PPM. This seems low based on a CYA of 120.

We were going to use this company while we go away for a month beginning next week, but now I have concerns on their approach, as the last thing I wanted to do was raise my CYA so that I get myself even closer to a drain of the pool. I'd be happy to take any advice anyone has on this situation, as well as be interested in knowing if anyone has a company they use in Tucson and why they like them? I had not had a chance to test the CYA myself yet as I was waiting on my Taylor Kit, but it arrived today so I will check it in the morning to see what I get. I also cannot seem to find a pool store that can give you accurate readings as I have had numbers ranging from 60 to 100 over the last 3 days. That was all with nothing but Liquid Chlorine added. Does anyone have a pool store in Tucson that they feel can provide accurate results?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP, neighbor!

You need to just wait your test kit.

The local maintenance companies that use gas should be ideal, gas is great. But, as you found they do not follow the TFP recommended levels. This is because they try to only come once a week (or every 2 weeks in their competitors case who I had and in-laws still pay to "maintain" their perpetually algae filled pool ... Somehow it is never their chemistry's fault :hammer: ) I found my CYA over 300 when I fired them.

What TFP teaches works, but you need to "feed" the pool daily. Service companies have to modify the chemistry in the hope of keeping the water clear ... Note I said clear, as that is what people see, but not necessarily sanitized and safe.

Thanks for the reply jb! I got my kit and tested some things this morning. I am really concerned about my pH levels as I still could not get it to the bottom of the chart levels of 7.0 even after adding 10 drops during the Base Demand test. My numbers checked out as follows:

FC 2.0
TC 1.5
pH -? Below the bottom 7.0 marker and could not get it to the range even after putting in 10 drops (max the chart goes to).
Alk - 90
Hardness - 600 (company yesterday told me it was like 1800, but a separate pool store told me 505 just the other day)
CYA - 100+ Black dot on tester disappeared before it quite made it to the 100 mark. I suspected this would be high since they actually added CYA yesterday...

First, suggestions on how to get this back in line? I am concerned with a number of the values, especially since they just came out to "treat the pool" yesterday evening.Also, I am still in need of a service company for a month beginning next week as we will be traveling, but I don't want them to cause more harm than good. Hoping someone has some recommendations in that regard as well.

Thanks!

-Chris

First, the TC can not be less than the FC, because TC = FC+CC ... we do not care about the TC.

Chlorine gas is acidic and usually they add baking soda or pH UP to counter it. Sounds like they did a bad job. If you are paying them, then call then and tell them to come out and fix the pH ... and the FC is WAY too low as well if they are not going to be back for a week.

It is going to be very hard to have them service the pool and try to follow our recommendation. I will say that having the pH that low is REALLY not good for the plaster and heater (if you have one).

Another thing that irks me about these companies is WHEN you get algae, they will happily come out and try to fix it, but you are still paying them the same amount even though they failed their job and made the pool unusable. IMO, if the pool goes green, you should get a free month. But, they will try to blame it on you saying the turn over was not enough (BS) or the filter is dirty or you used the pool too much :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.