Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Green to Brown

1. Back To Top    #1

Green to Brown

We finished filling our pool Saturday was a week ago. We added 120 lbs of salt with the filter pump running. Waited 24 hours per directions and started the salt pump. A couple of days later we added 1.5 lbs of CYA. By Friday the water was beginning to turn green. And of course greener on Saturday and Sunday. Sunday night we added 1 gallon of bleach. On Monday we added 40 lbs of salt and 2 gallons of bleach as the water was greener. On Monday we also cleaned the salt pump per directions and noticed that the filter on the filter pump was very dirty, so we put in a new filter. This morning (Tuesday) we cleaned the filter and added 5 gallons of bleach. Within 2-3 hours of adding the additional bleach, the water turned brown (We can see the bottom, but it looks like tea or coke, instead of water). We have cleaned the filter 2 more times today and are running both pumps. We do not have a local pool store for testing, so using a home hth 3-way test kit tonight the pH is 7.5 and I guess the Cl and Br are off the charts because the color was orange instead of a shade of yellow. We have wiped the sides down 3 times today. We are waiting for a part for our vaccum to be able to clean the bottom. How can we get rid of the brown water?
    Intex Ultra Frame AGP (18x48; 6,423 gallons)
    Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump Model SF80110
    Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System Model CS8110
    TF-100 Test Kit with SpeedStir
    K-1766 Sodium Chloride (salt water) Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green to Brown

Welcome to TFP!

Unfortunately you did not get the chlorine level up fast enough. Using bleach to help the SWG is the right idea. You need to Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain your pool to get rid of the algae. Are you using well water? Does it have iron in it?

You will also need a good test kit, Pool School - Test Kits Compared. I use the TF100 from TFTestkits.net
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

We are on city water, not well water. I have no idea if there is iron in the water or not. I have been reading the SLAM tonight and looked at the test kit recommended. I will see about getting it ordered tomorrow.

4. Back To Top    #4

Probably not iron in city water. Go ahead and SLAM. We have plenty of SLAMers here who can help.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you! Going to buy more bleach.

6. Back To Top    #6

We fixed our vaccum today, so we have brushed and vaccumed (and man was it nasty) and added more bleach. Will add a couple more gallons throughout the evening. Hopefully we are headed in the right direction.

7. Back To Top    #7

After vacuuming and adding bleach we have gone from clear brown water (able to see the bottom) to cloudy brown water (can't see the bottom)??

8. Back To Top    #8

Within the last hour, I cleaned the filter for the 3rd time today, brushed the sides for the 3rd time and added the 3rd gallon of bleach. Both pumps are running. The water is still cloudy brown. Any SLAMers have any suggestions?? Or could I be headed in the right direction??

9. Back To Top    #9

You are headed in the right direction. Killing algae, that is why the filter is clogging up and pool is cloudy. Keep testing and adding chlorine back to shock level every few hours if you can, at least 3 or 4 times per day. And keep brushing, vaccing and filtering.
    TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you! My test kit will not be here until next week. Is there any chance that I will add too much bleach. Our pool is above ground, so vynal.

11. Back To Top    #11

A couple of gallons a day is probably good. Try to keep your chlorine level between tweety bird yellow and school bus yellow. If it gets to orange julius orange then back off a little.
    TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Brushed twice today, added 2 gallons of bleach, vacuumed once and cleaned the filter twice. Still dark brown. Can't really see the bottom. Hopefully we are getting somewhere!?!

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Turn off the saltwater while you are using the bleach. It will save it some life. The real progress will be made when you get your test kit and can officially start your SLAM. Have you started reading about it yet? It's a good impedance to read other's suds chess stories, it gives you an idea what to expect.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

14. Back To Top    #14

Still waiting on TF100 test kit, but retested the chlorine this morning with the hth 3-way kit. The orange is almost gone. I will retest tonight and most likely need to add a gallon of bleach, I'm guessing. I put 2 gallons in yesterday and none so far today. I have brushed and replaced the filter. Will vacuum again later today. Turned off the salt pump. Still have cloudy, dark brown water.

15. Back To Top    #15

My TF100 came today. I am trying to test for FC. After adding R0870 the sample turned bright dark pink. I have added 300 drops of R0871 still not back to clear. Do I keep adding drops?

16. Back To Top    #16

SLAMers PLEASE HELP! I have tried all of the TF100 test and here is what I got ...

FC - sample turned bright, dark pink immediately upon adding R0870. After adding 300 drops of of R0871 it is still not clear, it is kinda of purplie brownish (not even really close).
    Ph 7.5
    TA added R-0007 then R-0008 sample turned green. Added 50 drops of R-0009 and sample is clear. Not even a hint of red.
    CYA followed the directions and completely filled the CYA VIEW TUBE and black dot was still vaguely visuable.

Added 2 gallons of 8.25% bleach yesterday, but nothing today. Still have dark brown cloudy water.

17. Back To Top    #17

I'm a bit confused as to how you are testing your FC. Did you use the FAS-DPD powder?

Lisa P.
    26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]

18. Back To Top    #18

Here is a link to video instructions for the tests.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/tf100te...e=results_main

and the official instructions page
    TFTestkits.net
    TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

I used the R-0870 DPD Powder that came in the TF100 kit.

20. Back To Top    #20

Are you swirling after each drop?

Lisa P.
    26,000 IG, pebble tec, flagstone, pentair Triton II TR100 sand filter & VS+SVRS 3hp multi-speed pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Booster Cleaner, spillover spa, waterfall, Taylor K-2006 testkit
    [It is better to know how to learn, than to know. - Dr. Seuss[/I]

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast