Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do CoverStar automatic covers come with a cover pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do CoverStar automatic covers come with a cover pump?

When my CoverStar cover was installed 2.5 years ago, I was given a Little Giant cover pump. It kinda showed up one day amongst the clutter and I'm not certain if it was part of the cover package or if it was something that the PB threw in. I don't remember seeing it as a separate line item in an invoice and at this point I'm not exactly on speaking terms with the PB. The cover pump is starting to trip GFCIs and the folks at Little Giant suggested I work through whoever supplied it to me for any service within the 3 year warranty period.

The NW CoverStar distributor doesn't seem to want to return phone calls or answer emails so before I call CoverStar directly and get told I have to contact the local distributor (this is how the run around is played!!) I was hoping someone here might know if a pump is included standard with covers. Thanks.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do CoverStar automatic covers come with a cover pump?

My autocover isn't that same brand, but it also came with the Little Giant pump included with the installation because it is an important element in the safety the cover provides. I believe its standard across the brands but can't swear to it.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Any solid safety cover has to include a way for water to drain to be considered "safe". For automatic safety covers, this usually means that a pump is included.

Every cover system comes with a pump that automatically senses water and removes it, provided the pump is operable, properly placed, and maintained according to the pump manufacturer’s instructions.
    https://coverstarcentral.com/pdf/ecl...wner_guide.pdf

The cover pump is not covered by Coverstar, but is warranted by the pump manufacturer according to its own warranty. All pump repairs are performed at an authorized service center listed in the pump instruction set. Coverstar is not an authorized pump repair or service center.
    Limited Warranty : Coverstar Central

4. Back To Top    #4

I just recalled and it may be of some help? Some of the Little Giant pumps were recalled a couple years ago-

Little Giant Cover Pump Recall
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Any solid safety cover has to include a way for water to drain to be considered "safe". For automatic safety covers, this usually means that a pump is included.
    Thanks. Exactly the information I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    I just recalled and it may be of some help? Some of the Little Giant pumps were recalled a couple years ago-

Little Giant Cover Pump Recall
    Thanks, my pump has a date code of 1206 which isn't one of the affected date codes; it's odd because it's a different format than the 12J, 12I, 12K, 12L, 13A, 13B affected date codes.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

6. Back To Top    #6

Maybe the contact information in the above recall letter might be a good contact to write or call though?

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, I already spoke to the Little Giant Pump (Franklin Electric) folks and they're the ones that said I had to go through the dealer for warranty repairs.

I called up CoverStar and as anticipated the customer service rep told me to call NW Pool Covers who I had already called and emailed several times without a reply. The rep didn't seem to understand the "Catch 22" of recommending I call a distributor who had already demonstrated they do not respond to phone or email. I insisted he could call or email them for me and he finally relented and wrote a quick email, while I was on the phone, to the person he said was the president of NW Pool Covers. Within an hour I got an email from them with an offer to exchange my defective pump.

Sorry, but my experience with CoverStar customer service and product support has been poor from past issues and they continue to reinforce my impressions with every additional contact. Although I got the response I wanted, it's always a run around when contacting them.

8. Back To Top    #8

I have an APC cover and it came with a pump, that was not a little giant. Don't recall the brand off hand but the first lasted 3 years and we are on the second one.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois