First Saltwater Pool, couple of questions

Jul 7, 2015
Anrews/Texas
Ok so I got the pool filled salted, and adjusted to these specs. PH-7.5, FC-5, CC-0/1 and I added 2# of CYA(doesn't show up on the test yet of course, and I know its probably not enough but I'm going to adjust that more after a week). So now my plan is to leave the pump off and swim tomorrow and afterwards run the pump for 6 hours with the SWG and see were the tests fall the following day. My real concern is from having regular chlorine pools in the past I know in this area I will be fighting high PH all the time and I don't know if that will effect the efficiency of the saltwater set-up or not My total alkalinity is still off the charts as well as calcium hardness(well water). Also is okay to supplement the SWG with liquid chlorine? stupid me bought the system hooked it up and tested it before reading the instructions and its only rated for 7,000 gallons and mine @90% is around 8,600 if I remember right.

and I might add that this is the first pool I have really messed with chemicals much, every other pool i ever had was a floater chlorine dispenser and muriatic acid every couple of days to bring PH back down. and shock and swim when chlorine got too low. So while I may seem to have a good comprehension thus far I am pretty much just going by reading pool school and crossing my fingers I get it right lol

Right now guess strips just ordered a good test kit the k-2006. The salt strips were the worst to try to get it right since my well water apparently had a salt content to it to start with I used 40# less than what was recommended and they looked high to me(who knows they change every second) but the SWG doesn't give a high or low alarm so I guess I'm good. :confused:

Generally only need to adjust the CYA at the start of the season. But it has nothing to do with the pH.

I am afraid to tell you that you may struggle more with the pH because the aeration caused by a SWG speeds up the rate of pH rise. The key to slowing the pH rise is getting the TA low, like around 60-70ppm if possible.

High or low pH has no effect on CYA. Also CYA has no effect on pH. You put CYA in the water and it stays there. You can only remove CYA by draining or splash out.

how do you lower the TA? Right now even with PH about right my TA still shows off the charts

NVM, found the section I was reading it wrong before about aeration. Raise PH without raising TA by aeration then use more acid to bring both down. TA slower than regular PH. Also I know I read(and it seems to only make sense since it is an acid) that adding CYA lowers PH not as much as muriatic acid obviously its not as strong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok, but the high ph problems will not lower my CYA levels. Gotcha! Like I say as a newbie to pool chemistry I would just think if it works one way it would work the other that's why I'm asking questions. I think I got what I needed cleared up now until my reliable test kit comes in and the CYA will actually register on a test. Thanks to everyone for the help thus far. Looking forward to a great time this summer sitting in my pool when its to hot to be on the harley!!!!

ok so I thought i had it going..... Today my SWG is giving high salt alarm after working just fine yesterday. So since i can't read the salt test strips to save my life(they just constantly get lighter it doesn't seem to settle on any kind of result) what is a good percentage to start out draining and refilling 10%? I do still have 40# of salt if i get it to low i just don't want to drain a lot because my well only puts out 7GPH and it takes forever to refill

OK will order salt test, swapped out 6 inches of water and refilled swg worked fine again last night!!! Maybe that is good now. My test results are as follows, FC-3ppm , CC-0, PH-7.4, TA-1700ppm(down from 2200), CH-2400ppm, CYA-30ppm. With my kid and the swg aerating the pool daily should be able to get TA under control eventually.

OK so after about a month with my pool I still can't keep the SWG happy for more than two days..... Done 6-7 partial water changes and everything i do it works for a day or two and then high salt alarm again. Cleaned the plates with vinegar they were crusty but even clean same problem. So I'm mostly just using liquid chlorine. PH is finally stable with TA down to about 110. Best thing is crystal clear water everyday not even a hint of CC the entire time!!!! Loving easy how easy it is.

I slacked off forgot to order it.... Decided to do another water change today if it doesn't fix it I'll just keep adding chlorine manually and next year try SWG again I'm going to tear the pool down and redo pretty much everything next year anyway.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.