Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Saltwater Pool, couple of questions

1. Back To Top    #1

First Saltwater Pool, couple of questions

Ok so I got the pool filled salted, and adjusted to these specs. PH-7.5, FC-5, CC-0/1 and I added 2# of CYA(doesn't show up on the test yet of course, and I know its probably not enough but I'm going to adjust that more after a week). So now my plan is to leave the pump off and swim tomorrow and afterwards run the pump for 6 hours with the SWG and see were the tests fall the following day. My real concern is from having regular chlorine pools in the past I know in this area I will be fighting high PH all the time and I don't know if that will effect the efficiency of the saltwater set-up or not My total alkalinity is still off the charts as well as calcium hardness(well water). Also is okay to supplement the SWG with liquid chlorine? stupid me bought the system hooked it up and tested it before reading the instructions and its only rated for 7,000 gallons and mine @90% is around 8,600 if I remember right.
    Intex 20' x 52" Ultra frame pool w/ 1,600-Gallon sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Saltwater Pool, couple of questions

and I might add that this is the first pool I have really messed with chemicals much, every other pool i ever had was a floater chlorine dispenser and muriatic acid every couple of days to bring PH back down. and shock and swim when chlorine got too low. So while I may seem to have a good comprehension thus far I am pretty much just going by reading pool school and crossing my fingers I get it right lol

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Certainly you can use bleach to supplement the SWG.

What test kit are you using?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Right now guess strips just ordered a good test kit the k-2006. The salt strips were the worst to try to get it right since my well water apparently had a salt content to it to start with I used 40# less than what was recommended and they looked high to me(who knows they change every second) but the SWG doesn't give a high or low alarm so I guess I'm good.

5. Back To Top    #5

Great that you have a good kit on the way.

As long as the SWG is working, the salt must be close enough.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

How often do you have to add CYA usually? I'm guessing if it stays around it will help with my PH battle, or my constant high PH problems will kill my stabilizer since its and acid and also lowers PH when added???

7. Back To Top    #7

Generally only need to adjust the CYA at the start of the season. But it has nothing to do with the pH.

I am afraid to tell you that you may struggle more with the pH because the aeration caused by a SWG speeds up the rate of pH rise. The key to slowing the pH rise is getting the TA low, like around 60-70ppm if possible.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

High or low pH has no effect on CYA. Also CYA has no effect on pH. You put CYA in the water and it stays there. You can only remove CYA by draining or splash out.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

how do you lower the TA? Right now even with PH about right my TA still shows off the charts

NVM, found the section I was reading it wrong before about aeration. Raise PH without raising TA by aeration then use more acid to bring both down. TA slower than regular PH. Also I know I read(and it seems to only make sense since it is an acid) that adding CYA lowers PH not as much as muriatic acid obviously its not as strong.

10. Back To Top    #10

You need the test kit before we get ahead of ourselves.

There is an article in Pool School in the How To section explaining the process to lower TA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

yes I found it and reread it and edited was trying to get it before another response lol, I misunderstood before about the aeration process.

12. Back To Top    #12

When adding CYA, it will slightly lower the pH, but not enough to even worry about generally.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

ok, but the high ph problems will not lower my CYA levels. Gotcha! Like I say as a newbie to pool chemistry I would just think if it works one way it would work the other that's why I'm asking questions. I think I got what I needed cleared up now until my reliable test kit comes in and the CYA will actually register on a test. Thanks to everyone for the help thus far. Looking forward to a great time this summer sitting in my pool when its to hot to be on the harley!!!!

14. Back To Top    #14

ok so I thought i had it going..... Today my SWG is giving high salt alarm after working just fine yesterday. So since i can't read the salt test strips to save my life(they just constantly get lighter it doesn't seem to settle on any kind of result) what is a good percentage to start out draining and refilling 10%? I do still have 40# of salt if i get it to low i just don't want to drain a lot because my well only puts out 7GPH and it takes forever to refill

15. Back To Top    #15

Hard to say. A better salt test would help. Or have it tested at the pool store (where hopefully they use the drop test)
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Hard to say. A better salt test would help. Or have it tested at the pool store (where hopefully they use the drop test)
    +1

Here is a better salt test:
    http://tftestkits.net/K-1766-Taylor-Salt-Test-p31.html

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

17. Back To Top    #17

OK will order salt test, swapped out 6 inches of water and refilled swg worked fine again last night!!! Maybe that is good now. My test results are as follows, FC-3ppm , CC-0, PH-7.4, TA-1700ppm(down from 2200), CH-2400ppm, CYA-30ppm. With my kid and the swg aerating the pool daily should be able to get TA under control eventually.

18. Back To Top    #18

OK so after about a month with my pool I still can't keep the SWG happy for more than two days..... Done 6-7 partial water changes and everything i do it works for a day or two and then high salt alarm again. Cleaned the plates with vinegar they were crusty but even clean same problem. So I'm mostly just using liquid chlorine. PH is finally stable with TA down to about 110. Best thing is crystal clear water everyday not even a hint of CC the entire time!!!! Loving easy how easy it is.

19. Back To Top    #19

So what does the salt test you ordered say?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

I slacked off forgot to order it.... Decided to do another water change today if it doesn't fix it I'll just keep adding chlorine manually and next year try SWG again I'm going to tear the pool down and redo pretty much everything next year anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast