Hayward 6060 booster pump leaking at top

efoley

Jul 7, 2015
Conshohocken, PA
The pipe going in the top has a leak. When I turn the cleaner on the water spews out. Tonight I took it apart and the o-ring was laying on top of bottom pipe. Put o ring back in place, still leaking just not as bad. Is this as simple as replacing the o-ring?

I am assuming that the union is being used. The o-ring should solve the problem. Here is a link to the manual

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/BoosterPump-6060.pdf

same pump, same problem for no apparent reason. Changed o-ring, still leaks. Oversized o-ring, still leaks. I am thinking it is possible a crack in the union piece, but I will have to cut the pipe off to see the fitting and inspect. I sure hope it is not the threaded port on the pump as that is part of the pump housing.

I bought a new Hayward 1-1/2 union AX6060UNPAK and problem solved. Of course I had to create a new pipe section and add a union. Why Hayward makes us buy two of these in a kit is kind of a rip off. As I only needed the one.

FURTHER UPDATE, started leaking again. Bought a new volute thinking the fitting on the volute may be the problem. Installed and still leaks, so with a new volute, and a new line fitting, I am a at a complete loss. I did notice just tilting the pump slightly can cause it to leak. This means the fitting must be completely level and flush, but again this is almost impossible to do. I am going to try and find a better o-ring to see if this helps otherwise I will just go buy a new Polaris pump as I never had this issue with them.

Have you tightened the you know what out of the threaded connection? Use pipe dope (shouldn't need it but wouldn't hurt) and lubed up the o-ring good with a silicone lube (don't use a petroleum based lube like vaseline)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.