Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward 6060 booster pump leaking at top

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward 6060 booster pump leaking at top

The pipe going in the top has a leak. When I turn the cleaner on the water spews out. Tonight I took it apart and the o-ring was laying on top of bottom pipe. Put o ring back in place, still leaking just not as bad. Is this as simple as replacing the o-ring?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward 6060 booster pump leaking at top

Welcome to the forum!

Sure sounds like it would be worth a shot in this situation. I'd give it a try for certain and see what happens.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I am assuming that the union is being used. The o-ring should solve the problem. Here is a link to the manual

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manu...rPump-6060.pdf
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Hayward Pool View Post
    I am assuming that the union is being used. The o-ring should solve the problem. Here is a link to the manual

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manu...rPump-6060.pdf
    same pump, same problem for no apparent reason. Changed o-ring, still leaks. Oversized o-ring, still leaks. I am thinking it is possible a crack in the union piece, but I will have to cut the pipe off to see the fitting and inspect. I sure hope it is not the threaded port on the pump as that is part of the pump housing.
    16x30 gunite/plaster, 15,500 gal, Flagstone coping, 3'-6' depth plus bench and sundeck, bubbler, Hayward 1-1/2hp 2pd Tristar pump, Hayward 550 cartridge filter, 320 Chlorinator, Smart Ozone Sanitizer, Hayward Viper cleaner, 1 skimmer, 2 drains, 3 returns, 1 deck bubbler, Hayward booster pump for cleaner. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

just reading this, it tells me this must be an inherent problem with these. Too too coincidental.
    16x30 gunite/plaster, 15,500 gal, Flagstone coping, 3'-6' depth plus bench and sundeck, bubbler, Hayward 1-1/2hp 2pd Tristar pump, Hayward 550 cartridge filter, 320 Chlorinator, Smart Ozone Sanitizer, Hayward Viper cleaner, 1 skimmer, 2 drains, 3 returns, 1 deck bubbler, Hayward booster pump for cleaner. Taylor K-2006 test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I checked with engineering and technical and nothing has been reported. Let me know if you find something.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com

7. Back To Top    #7

I bought a new Hayward 1-1/2 union AX6060UNPAK and problem solved. Of course I had to create a new pipe section and add a union. Why Hayward makes us buy two of these in a kit is kind of a rip off. As I only needed the one.

8. Back To Top    #8

FURTHER UPDATE, started leaking again. Bought a new volute thinking the fitting on the volute may be the problem. Installed and still leaks, so with a new volute, and a new line fitting, I am a at a complete loss. I did notice just tilting the pump slightly can cause it to leak. This means the fitting must be completely level and flush, but again this is almost impossible to do. I am going to try and find a better o-ring to see if this helps otherwise I will just go buy a new Polaris pump as I never had this issue with them.

9. Back To Top    #9

Have you tightened the you know what out of the threaded connection? Use pipe dope (shouldn't need it but wouldn't hurt) and lubed up the o-ring good with a silicone lube (don't use a petroleum based lube like vaseline)?
    ----Chris----
    25k IG/Spa Figure 8, 18x36, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite, Sta-Rite S8M150 Cartridge Filter, Pentair 460805 400k BTU Heater & 011018 IntelliFlo VarSpd
    Liquidator, Fafco Solar Heat, Polaris PB460 Booster Pump w/280 cleaner, Katchaleaf Cover, TF100 Test Kit, FAKE MAIN DRAIN