Results of first time user of TF-100 kit

Jun 2, 2015
Four Oaks,NC
Hello again everyone! need some help with my numbers that I got. Did my very first test tonight and trying to figure out my next move. Really nervous I did the test wrong.

Here are my results....
ph 7.2
FC 6
CC 1.5
CH 125
TA 50
CYA 40 I added 3lbs of stabilizer on Saturday morning and have read that results don't show up for about a week, but just wanted to see if it would show any and this is what I got.

My pool is 10,472 gals and is filled to fill line. I have the SWG running for 6hours

poolmath is telling me to add 32oz of borax to bring my PH 7.8 (not really sure I did the pool math right?

Should my TA be higher? TIA

How does the water look? I only ask because 1.5 CC is worrisome. So either you tested improperly, or there's something in the water creating the CC. If the CC is really 1.5, you need to SLAM, in which case your pH is perfect right now.

You can raise TA and pH after the water is crystal clear, free of CC, and holding FC. Target 7.6 pH and 70 TA. But wait until you're either certain you don't need to SLAM or the SLAM is complete.

Hey Richard, the water to me looks a little cloudy but hubby says it looks clear. I also don't feel to confident in the test, not sure I did it right. Should I do the FC and CC test again?
Yes.

PS: clear is when you can toss a quarter in the deep end and call heads or tails from the deck. Seriously. A lot of us can do that through eight feet of water.

Okay I just redid the test and got this..

FC 6
CC 0.5

when I finished the FC test and added the three drops of R-0003 I got a very light pink color( as with the first time) this time I when adding the R-0871 one drop at a time it cleared up with one drop. so 1 x 0.5 = 0.5 will I need to SLAM my pool? This time when doing the test I did it by myself, first time I was holding the cylinder to swirl while hubby did the drops and counted. <which is why I think we didn't get it good.

Just to be on the safe side, would doing the SLAM hurt the pool or water?

FC 6
CC 0.5

when I finished the FC test and added the three drops of R-0003 I got a very light pink color( as with the first time) this time I when adding the R-0871 one drop at a time it cleared up with one drop. so 1 x 0.5 = 0.5 will I need to SLAM my pool? This time when doing the test I did it by myself, first time I was holding the cylinder to swirl while hubby did the drops and counted. <which is why I think we didn't get it good.

No. Won't hurt anything at all. If it turns out to have been unnecessary, it will be done in a day, as soon as you pass the Overnight Loss test.

Edit: with a CYA of 40, your shock level is 16, not 13.
Turn off the SWG. Keep filter on.
Add 1 gallon and 3 cups of 8.25%.
Wait 1/2 to 1 hour. Retest FC and CC. Record. Make sure to do this step!
Test as soon as you can in the am.
Compare numbers.

Arg. Sorry. I saw the word SLAM in your post and got side-tracked.

You don't have to raise your FC for the overnight test when you are not slamming.

Adjust your steps as follows if you haven't already added the bleach.

Turn off the SWG. Keep filter on.
Wait 1/2 to 1 hour after any additions and retest FC and CC. Make sure to do this step if you add any bleach.
Test as soon as you can in the am.
Compare numbers.

If you do not raise the FC up near shock levels, then an OCLT of 1ppm may be excessive and you should see a lower loss. The OCLT article was written assuming you are SLAMing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is a discussion that has occurred a few times between mods and experts that we may address in the article if we ever come to a consensus :D

We strive to keep things simple and adding caveats to the article, while likely correct, makes the process more confusing.

Bottom line, you can do the OCLT at whatever FC level you like, but the 1ppm max loss was selected assuming near shock level as that was the intention of the OCLT in the first place ... To know when to end the SLAM.

I hope I'm not sidetracking this tread inappropriately. Feel free to move or delete the post if needed.

We strive to keep things simple and adding caveats to the article, while likely correct, makes the process more confusing.

The lack of the caveat made it more confusing to me when I did my first OCLT. I too didn't know it was supposed to be done at SLAM levels.

Maybe just have two OCLT articles?...
OCLT for Ending SLAM
OCLT for Diagnostics

Copy and paste the current page to create the new Diagnostics page and add the caveats.

Thanks

I didn't have any chlorine last night and it was to late to go out and buy some. Also from so much reading on how to SLAM I got a headache,lol so just went to sleep. This morning I went out bought some chlorine. added one bottle to pool, waited 30 mins then tested results are FC 14 CC of .5 or even below. when I add the 3 drops of R-0003 the pink color is barley noticeable. The pool water is clear, I can tell by stand at the very top of ladder and see that the quarter is heads up,lol.

Should I keep adding chlorine to get FC up to 16? is it okay for swimming as is now? or should I wait to see numbers in the morning, feeling lost.

FC 6
CC 0.5

You should be adding 5 drops of R-0003 to test for CC.

you need to do the OCLT at SLAM level. a 1ppm loss if your FC is 5ppm (25%) is a lot more of a loss than if you lose 1ppm at 24ppm FC (4%). if you don't want to go to full SLAM level, then at least raise it higher. it will be more accurate to tell you if there is a algae issue.

If it's warm, go swimming! People swim in lakes all the time and survive. Just boost the FC later in the evening and let it mix well and take your reading, and compare it again in the morning. If it passes, you're done. FC will come down during the day. If it doesn't, you got a jump start on the SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.