Hayward H3001 Millivolt heater burners won't stay lit

Jul 7, 2015
Manitoba, Canada
HI I have had a problem for a couple of years with my Hayward millivolt heater. The burners won't stay lit consistently. When I bypass the pilot generator the burners light, but when I remove the jumper, the burners stay on for a while, or shut off immediately.
I have replaced the gas valve and the pilot generator, checked all connections, switches, pressure switch, limits, etc. and all is well.
Pilot stays lit no problem
The heater worked flawlessly for 5 years and started getting cranky a couple of years ago. I replaced the gas valve last summer on the advice of a gas repair guy, but that didn't help
This year I replaced the pilot generator, thinking that this was the last piece that could possibly be causing the problem
Now I am at a loss for next step in troubleshooting
This is a very simple heater so I would think that the fix would be simple too but it's evading me

Hoping for a lifeline! Any assistance MUCH appreciated!

Andy

You are jumping the gas valve and the unit lights so that would mean you are bypassing the safety circuit. So that means something in the circuit is causing the unit to shut down. Bypass the on/off switch and see what happens. That is one fairly common issue I see on these units. Then bypass the pressure switch and so on down the line. It's a just a matter of jumping one thing out at a time till you find the issue.

No automation involved correct?

You are jumping the gas valve and the unit lights so that would mean you are bypassing the safety circuit. So that means something in the circuit is causing the unit to shut down. Bypass the on/off switch and see what happens. That is one fairly common issue I see on these units. Then bypass the pressure switch and so on down the line. It's a just a matter of jumping one thing out at a time till you find the issue.

No automation involved correct?
Thanks for your reply. I tried bypassing/jumping each component - on/off, temp, each limit, pressure switch, etc - and the unit still will not stay lit.
No automation involved. This is as simple as it gets and still no luck

The other odd thing is that the burners will light sometimes WITHOUT the jumper wire in place. I just tried again, bypassing each switch and limit, and I can get the burners to light, but after a few minutes the burners shut off. I was sure this was pilot generator not supplying enough power to keep the solenoid in the gas valve open, so I replaced the pilot generator. But the problem is still there.

Did you measure the millivolts coming out of the pilot generator? So if you have 400mv or more you are good on the pilot generator.

Natural gas or propane?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.