Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward H3001 Millivolt heater burners won't stay lit

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward H3001 Millivolt heater burners won't stay lit

HI I have had a problem for a couple of years with my Hayward millivolt heater. The burners won't stay lit consistently. When I bypass the pilot generator the burners light, but when I remove the jumper, the burners stay on for a while, or shut off immediately.
    I have replaced the gas valve and the pilot generator, checked all connections, switches, pressure switch, limits, etc. and all is well.
    Pilot stays lit no problem
    The heater worked flawlessly for 5 years and started getting cranky a couple of years ago. I replaced the gas valve last summer on the advice of a gas repair guy, but that didn't help
    This year I replaced the pilot generator, thinking that this was the last piece that could possibly be causing the problem
    Now I am at a loss for next step in troubleshooting
    This is a very simple heater so I would think that the fix would be simple too but it's evading me

Hoping for a lifeline! Any assistance MUCH appreciated!

Andy

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Hayward H3001 Millivolt heater burners won't stay lit

You are jumping the gas valve and the unit lights so that would mean you are bypassing the safety circuit. So that means something in the circuit is causing the unit to shut down. Bypass the on/off switch and see what happens. That is one fairly common issue I see on these units. Then bypass the pressure switch and so on down the line. It's a just a matter of jumping one thing out at a time till you find the issue.

No automation involved correct?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    You are jumping the gas valve and the unit lights so that would mean you are bypassing the safety circuit. So that means something in the circuit is causing the unit to shut down. Bypass the on/off switch and see what happens. That is one fairly common issue I see on these units. Then bypass the pressure switch and so on down the line. It's a just a matter of jumping one thing out at a time till you find the issue.

No automation involved correct?
    Thanks for your reply. I tried bypassing/jumping each component - on/off, temp, each limit, pressure switch, etc - and the unit still will not stay lit.
    No automation involved. This is as simple as it gets and still no luck

4. Back To Top    #4

The other odd thing is that the burners will light sometimes WITHOUT the jumper wire in place. I just tried again, bypassing each switch and limit, and I can get the burners to light, but after a few minutes the burners shut off. I was sure this was pilot generator not supplying enough power to keep the solenoid in the gas valve open, so I replaced the pilot generator. But the problem is still there.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Did you measure the millivolts coming out of the pilot generator? So if you have 400mv or more you are good on the pilot generator.

Natural gas or propane?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

Natural Gas
    I get 170 millivolts across the pilot generator leads when the burners are lit with the jumper
    350 Millivolts with burners off
    This is a brand new pilot generator

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

You still may have a pilot assembly or pilot generator problem. Under load this unit needs approximately 250 MV. Check the pilot flame to make sure it is bathing the generator fully.
    Hayward Pool Tech
    80+ Years of Technologically Advanced Pool Product Manufacturing
    poolside@haywardnet.com