Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Patch return line at fitting?

1. Back To Top    #1

Patch return line at fitting?

Well the leak guy came out and found our leak in about the first 10 minutes: where one return line comes in, the nozzle fitting appears to have not been attached properly (bad glue job maybe?), or may have pulled loose with settling and shifting... and someone in the past seems to have "repaired" it with Fix-It Stick or some sort of other hardening material.. and now that material is cracked or loose or in some other way allowing a slight trickle escape.

Obviously to re-fit it properly means peeling the liner back, digging down to the pipes, etc. That can be something left to the pool pros for the off-season.

Meanwhile, I need to find some way to keep it going through the summer without needing to top the pool up every day. I'm thinking to chip out the old stuff and use a bead of Sikabond (immersible polyurethane), which is super sticky and stays flexible... only catch is, it's supposed to have 4-7 days to cure fully, and with the hot weather, I really don't want to be without the pool for that long.

Can anyone offer any other tips for a quick, temporary patch? I haven't chipped the old stuff out yet to confirm what kind of gap there is....
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Pool: 80,000l (21,000 USG) 32'x'16' in-ground concrete with vinyl liner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Patch return line at fitting?

Sorry I can't think of something at the moment, but is the leak acceptable until you can have downtime on the pool?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, I went with the urethane... nasty stuff to work with, went through three latex gloves, but I think I got the gaps all filled nicely. Letting it cure for the rest of today, then I'll plug the outlet and start filling the pool back up, and hopefully the city doesn't come pester me because of watering restrictions (pools aren't on the restriction list)...

2015-07-08 12.39.00.jpg
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

4. Back To Top    #4

Two days later and all is good! Only a very slight loss to evaporation (maybe 1/8" at most)!