Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Patio material that stays coolest

1. Back To Top    #1

Patio material that stays coolest

We have had a pool for 3ish years and have pavers, reddish dark, probably "generic pavers", and during the summer they can get a little hot. We now want to extend our patio and dont want to spend the 20k to. What are the other options that do not get hot. Thought about concrete and use my pavers in-between to make a pattern, but heard poured concrete can get hot (and some dark stone which is probably expensive and we arent using, can get very hot too). Ive read about acrylic and kooldeck and there's some pros and cons. Personally, I dont love the "orange peel" effect of the kooldeck. And have read acrylic coatings can be slippery (not sure how slippery we are really talking). Brushed concrete? Travertine (would this be more expensive than pavers and I cant use my existing patio pavers)? Would love any ideas and experiences.
    23k gal in-ground gunite w/ spa/blower, Sheer descent, Jandy AquaPure SWCG, Pentair 2HP Pump x2, Raypak P-R406A-EN-C 399k BTU gas heater, Polaris 380/Polaris PB4-60 Pump, DE filter w/ separation tank

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Patio material that stays coolest

Travertine pavers or the concrete coatings are going to be the coolest.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

My rocksalt finish, stained concrete is the coolest surface around my pool. Flagstone, rocks and old bricks are all noticeably hotter. It is also maintenance free.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

i've gotta say, i live in phx and my marbella is cool. i'm slightly regretting not having made the rest of the patio marbella but i wanted old chicago brick for more of a different look under the grape arbor. plus less $ and i can do it myself. i'll prob put an outdoor rug on it though! this is me only with a month of experience but i know someone else who's had it a few yrs in phoenix and loves it
    40' x 12' IG shotcrete (3 1/2' 5, 4'), Hayward variable spd pumpSP3400VSP, Paramount PV3 in-floor, venturi skimmer, 14,400 glns, Hayward Turbo salt cell T Cell-15, UV, Hayward DE filter, model DE4820, 2 Hayward Color Logic 320 LED color lights, Hayward P4 w puck. 2" line to in-floor valve (46'), deck mount canister parascoping fountain, leaf canister, Marbella, pebble. new build 6-24-15

5. Back To Top    #5

Travertine is the coolest paver out there. I live in South Texas where the sun shines 300 days out of the year

6. Back To Top    #6

I live in NJ and have a Marble coping and it is as cool as can be. I think Marble is very much like Travertine. I have techo block inca pavers for the decking and they are not as cool as the Marble but my feet never feel hot on it. I also have a border of small brick around the techo block and that is very hot. Fortunately it is a small area I can easily avoid.
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

I have acrylic coated concrete. It's almost as cool as cool deck, but is much more durable. Ten years old and I have just resealed it with a new coat of the color coat. One day's work and it now looks like the day it was first installed. It has held up much better than my neighbors cool deck, which started peeling after about five years. It is also non-porous, so no staining or salt damage.

On the advice of my pool builder, I avoided the use of any natural stone, since this was built as a salt pool. There is no deck surface that you can walk on bare foot in the sun her in Tucson, but this as close as any. You can have it textured and tinted to match brick, travertine, flagstone, or any material you chose. The only limit is the skill and experience of the installer. Oh, and it's not slippery if there is any texture at all. I suppose It might be if you make it completely smooth, but I've never seen that done.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I've found that the material is far less important than the reflectivity of the material. If light is absorbed it WILL make [whatever] surface HOT. I actually have a wood deck that gets too hot to walk on. Repainting with a much lighter color is toward the top of my to-do list....

9. Back To Top    #9

Hi chiefwej, What did your PB say the salt system in the pool would do to stone? Thanks

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Floridanative123 View Post
    Hi chiefwej, What did your PB say the salt system in the pool would do to stone? Thanks
    Over time salt water splash out causes erosion. Softer more porous stone like flagstone will flake and erode much more quickly, and harder stone will hold up better, but all stone can suffer damage. Salt laden water wets the stone. Any moisture penetration evaporates, leaving salt behind. As the water evaporates, salt crystals form within the stone, causing damage and creating fractures that allow more penetration.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

We have travertine pavers. They are ivory which is a lighter color and you can lay on your back shirtless at the hottest time of day. You could not even stand in one spot with our old concrete pavers.
    10k gallon freeform, 3.5-5ft, Jandy 2 speed 1.5HP, Jandy 200sq/ft cartridge, Jandy watercolor LED, 600sq/ft Travertine Decking, 12x7 ledge w/bubbler and umbrella sleeve, 100ft of baby fence with self closing gate, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite w/ablalone shells, Build Start 5/27/15 and completed on 7/15/15.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by JupPool View Post
    We have travertine pavers. They are ivory which is a lighter color and you can lay on your back shirtless at the hottest time of day. You could not even stand in one spot with our old concrete pavers.
    Try that in Tucson and you will leave the skin from your back there. I don't care what surface you have, here you won't be laying on it shirtless.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    Try that in Tucson and you will leave the skin from your back there. I don't care what surface you have, here you won't be laying on it shirtless.
    Well I live in FL and have Country Classic Travertine (http://www.travertinemart.com/wp-con...ClassicFP1.jpg) and typically mid-90's weather...and Jup is right...it's totally cool to the touch. While it wasn't cheap, I would not trade the travertine we installed.
    ----
    15' x 29' 10,300 gal w/ spa, IG-Plaster (Stonescapes Tropics Blue), 2spd WhisperFlo pump (1.5hp WFDS-26), Pentair Clean and Clear CC200 cartridge filter, Pentair MasterTemp 300BTU heater, Clear o3, RS-8 iAqualink

14. Back To Top    #14

100+ degree temps in Texas and our Travertine pavers barely feel warm (and still cool under the patio.) Love the look and the feel!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorsgal View Post
    i've gotta say, i live in phx and my marbella is cool.
    Hi outdoorsgal... I was looking at paver material and was at one of the largest pool builders in the Phoenix area looking at their paver display... I could walk on the various materials barefoot to compare... travertine and marbella were the coolest by far. Later I was at a stone supplier and asked about marbella and was told it was much softer and porous than travertine... what has your experience been with the marbella thus far? Thanks. Kirk
    Owner in Phoenix 16.5'X37', 27,000 gal pool; rennovation summer/fall 2015 to remove in ground sytem, resurfaced w/pebble sheen cool blue and update all equipment: Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo VS pump; Pentair 160332 Clean & Clear Plus 520 sf cartridge filter; Pentair Auto Fill; Pentair Intellichem, Pentair EasyTouch automation (including SWCG); ThePoolCleaner (suction side).

16. Back To Top    #16

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    I'm in south Florida and it gets smoking hot but travertine doesn't. Fact
    10k gallon freeform, 3.5-5ft, Jandy 2 speed 1.5HP, Jandy 200sq/ft cartridge, Jandy watercolor LED, 600sq/ft Travertine Decking, 12x7 ledge w/bubbler and umbrella sleeve, 100ft of baby fence with self closing gate, Pebble Sheen Blue Granite w/ablalone shells, Build Start 5/27/15 and completed on 7/15/15.