LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2015
"East of the River" CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My family is taking a trip for 5 days to Pittsburgh and we leave next Thursday Morning. I've searched for other "Vacation" threads and attached a similar post to an older thread, but realizing that is not exactly good TFP forum etiquette on a couple of fronts, I thought I'd start a new thread.

Let me start by saying I am a Baquacil convert and it went so well that I have bought 100% into the TFP methods, so now I'm looking for a little guidance for next weekend.:lovetfp:

Here's where I stand:

I had hoped to use the July 4th weekend as a stress test, so I bought a floater and a 7lb bucket of pucks. I put 3 pucks in the floater and bumped my FC to the high end of the normal range. I had a CYA of around 30 so I thought I would use the pucks to raise it to around 40 and use the chlorination to maintain my FC(I'm not to worried about the CYA getting super high. I have been only using Liquid chlorine since the conversion and I do a partial drain to end the season, regardless of chemical system. I also pump out water that gets through the Loop-Loc at least twice in the Autumn and Spring).

I tethered the floater in the middle of the pool and didn't touch it until Saturday morning, when I only had 1ppm of FC. So I moved the tether to in front of my deep-end return, added a 1/2 gallon of LC and left town again. Chlorine was back down to 1 FC on Sunday Afternoon. I untethered the floater, which now hangs out at the skimmer when the pump is on and at the stairs when it is off (I think I'm going to re-tether in front of a return.).

I know the pucks are at least partially working because my pH is lower. My questions are:

1) Without an opaque tarp, opportunity to put on or remove my winter cover, or have a neighbor add LC for me, how do I keep my chlorine in range and not risk an algae bloom when we return?

2) Am I overthinking this since we will be gone for only parts of 5 days?

You mentioned a neighbor.

If you could get him to come over a couple of times and add a gallon of bleach you would be in great shape. I went away for 7 days last year with similar numbers to you and bumped it up 3 PPM higher than normal when i left and had my daughter put in a jug of 8.25% from Walmart on days 2, 4 and 6 and came home to the same clear pool i left. :cool:

Wouldn't have a use for it otherwise. The pool is in the sun almost all day. For instance, In past years it has taken 3 days to go from opening to fully capable of swimming (>75 degrees) over Memorial Day weekend.

Doesn't seem like good value for my $$, but I'll look into it for the future.

Wouldn't have a use for it otherwise. The pool is in the sun almost all day. For instance, In past years it has taken 3 days to go from opening to fully capable of swimming (>75 degrees) over Memorial Day weekend.

Doesn't seem like good value for my $$, but I'll look into it for the future.

Buy the cheapest one you can find. If you are going worry about the the pool while you're on vacation, then the cover is a good investment. For less than $100 you can shock the pool, cover it and go away for a week without problems. No floaters, no one to rely on to dump chlorine in, and most important... a beautiful blue pool when you return. I do it this way every summer when the wife and I go out to Montauk for a week. We also take extended weekend trips, the cover is the easiest and simplest solution.

Do you know how much FC your pool normally loses in a day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd say about 3-4 ppm.

- - - Updated - - -

Buy the cheapest one you can find. If you are going worry about the the pool while you're on vacation, then the cover is a good investment. For less than $100 you can shock the pool, cover it and go away for a week without problems. No floaters, no one to rely on to dump chlorine in, and most important... a beautiful blue pool when you return. I do it this way every summer when the wife and I go out to Montauk for a week. We also take extended weekend trips, the cover is the easiest and simplest solution.
OK. Thanks, LI. I'll think about that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would add enough chlorine to cover the FC loss for each day you will be gone and then some.

I have an SWG and it does a good job of maintaining the FC each day, but I just left for a trip. I'll be gone a couple of days. I bumped my FC up to 21. If I was going to be gone more than a couple of days, I would
Have brought it up to full SL of 31. I did this because I won't be home to check skimmers. We live in the country and get critters in our skimmers often, from small frogs to large rats, and baby rabbits. [emoji4]. I didn't want to rely on my SWG only.

You're welcome. If you aren't worried about your CYA, you can also leave the pucks in as back up.

Everyone here has helped me here so much, I try to help when I can and feel confident I'm giving good advice ;-)

[emoji176] Lisa P.

It was 87 degrees East of The River today (CT residents will know what that means) and my pool held chlorine nicely, even though CYA appears to still be under 30 ppm. I leave for PGH on Thursday, so I hope to vacuum tomorrow, and increase pH to 7.8 (7.5 as I type), and put the floater in the pool with as many pucks as it can handle (Looks like 6). I'll then jack my FC up to SLAM level Wednesday night and call it a weekend.

Thoughts?

In my mind, it is the perfect strategy, but I'll let you all know if it works in reality next week.

Husky25 - do you know the pattern of your PH rise? I actually lowered my PH before my trip so that it wouldn't rise too much while I was gone. I have to add MA at least once a week and sometimes twice. I lowered my PH to 7.2 and when I returned it had risen to 7.6 or 7.7. However, I wasn't using pucks. I was using my SWG and straight bleach. You will want to check with pool math and find out the effect of the pucks on the PH (and perhaps you have already done this). If the pucks will lower your PH, then it sounds like you have a good plan, but hopefully someone with more experience will chime in as well. I'm glad that your FC is holding well!

Pucks lower pH according to Pool Math. It rang true in reality over the 4th as well. I'm only gone 5 days, so I should be okay, but I certainly appreciate the POV.

As I was typing my response, I was thinking the pucks might do that. Sounds like you have a handle on it and know your pool. I have to say it is super exciting to come back home to a nice pool with good numbers. I was almost giddy that I had predicted so well - how weird is that!

Long story short: will excess pH be harmful for 5 days if no one is swimming in the pool?

I am preparing to leave town for 5 days so I packed a floater and tethered it in front of my deep end return as I had planned above. I also added 24 oz. of washing soda to increase the pH from 7.5 to 7.8. Here's my issue. I was helping a friend over the weekend, but his pool is SWG and 25,000 gallons and his stats were in my PoolMath. Mine pool is about 21K, so I inadvertently put 4 oz. more washing soda than I needed. The pucks should bring the pH down over time, but should I test and adjust with MA?

Oh...TA = 90.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.