New house with pool...numbers off as expected!

Jul 7, 2015
Merton, WI
Hi everyone, my husband and I just bought a home with a 30,000 gallon in-ground, vinyl pool and we have not owned a pool previously. During the closing process, I researched the BBB process and found this website...which has been super helpful! We found that the previous owners used an automatic chlorinator with tabs, and also alternated baking soda and granulated chlorine every other week. Therefore, I knew we were most likely going to have a problem from the beginning. I got the TF-100 test kit and these are my first set of numbers:

pH: 7.5
FC: 28
TC: 28.5
CH: 325
TA: 330
CYA: 100

Just as everyone on this site could have suspected, the CYA is high but my FC is also high, even for the CYA level (safe to swim but still higher than I would like). To start, I have not added any further tabs and added additional water to the pool because the level was low. I imagine probably the most obvious course of action would be to drain and refill half of the water from the pool to decrease the CYA level to 50 and continue with the BBB method from there. The problem is that our home is supplied by a well, which poses more problems including but not limited to increased stress on the well and the introduction of a variety minerals to the pool. So, my main question is this...can I leave my pool cover off to hopefully get rid of some of the FC, leave the CYA at 100 and use the target FC of 7-12 and hope that CYA decreases over the winter, which I have read from this site usually does? Secondly, my TA is obviously high as well (although I have to admit, that was the hardest test for me to read since I added a lot of drops of solution so it could be not completely accurate). I've read that I shouldn't be adjusting this unless the pH is rising or I'm at significant risk for calcium scaling...which neither of those apply at this time. Should I leave my TA alone until I find my pH rising or do something about it now? Any other recommendations based on those numbers?

Thanks a ton!

LOL I LOVE your name! That is so cool! THANKS for the giggle!

Yes leave your cover off for the FC.

Have you tested your well water? You will need to know this before we decide what and when to take care of your CYA.

I am SO happy to see that you have read, researched AND ordered a good test kit! Can we keep you?????? LOL

Kim

I redid the CYA test and it looks to be about 110-120. I haven't had a chance to get a test for my well water yet. Hopefully later today. Even if the water turns out ok, I'm still worried about the stress it cause to have at least 15,000 gallons of water pumped out of it.

Ok. Tested my water:

Nitrate: 5.85
Nitrite: <0.5
Chlorine: 0
TA: 290
pH: 7.2
CH: 625
Copper: 0
Iron: 0

So it seems it MAY be okay to use my well water for filling, except for the CH. As I understand it, CH cannot be decreased unless you drain off water, but can be managed to higher numbers--like 1000 or so until it becomes a problem. I'm also still concerned about the wear on the well of filling >15,000 gallons. Thoughts?

Wow, that isn't making it a lot easier. How about trucking in water? Get some test results for it first, if it is coming from the same ground source that won't help.

CH can be managed up to 1000, there are people here who do. And there have been people who managed high CYA. Maybe you can replace 6"-12" every week or two until CYA is at least down to 80 or so.

The issue with high CYA is the corresponding high chlorine level required. Chlorine level is set based on CYA and the Chlorine CYA Chart. So, your numbers are
Minimum 10
Target 14
Shock 48
Also, the PH test is not valid with FC above 10, so you will have to lower it to test PH weekly or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.