Lurker, new pool owner, SLAM'ing in progress, need help

Accident

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 5, 2015
Roswell, GA
Let me start with the fact this is our first pool. We saw a sparkling blue pool at open house and submitted an offer the same day. ~30 days later we own the house and a green pool. That was ~10 days ago and we spent the first 7 days working with the pool store. While the pool got less deep green, it was still not something I would want to be pushed into ever. I decided that in 7 days we had spent about $250 and my last visit was "yeah, throw these pucks in the floating duck and use some of this algaecide". I had actually looked at this forum the night before and knew to not get one with copper at least. Regardless, on July 3rd afternoon I decided this DIY guy was going to DIY the pool from green to blue without a pool store.

July 3rd:

Test kit didn't come until Sunday so I might have gone a little nuts with 5 gal 8.25% on both Friday, Sat, and 3 gal sunday before it showed up. Liner is being replaced before next season anyways so I wasn't worried about bleaching the blue pattern. I basically just used test strips to ensure I was keeping above 10 FC as I knew I was shooting for around 20 if pool store test was close with CYA (verified now at 52 or so).

Lesson also learned. Pouring the bleach out at waist height while leaning over pretty much ruins a shirt. Even more sad when it is your favorite shirt from your boys on father's day.

After the kit showed up and I could test, I then SLAM'ed the pool to the best I could over the last few days. I have spent just under $100 on bleach from Kroger, Target, and Aldi's (first time there).

I have shots for every day around the same time but here is where I was earlier today:

Every morning I have been cleaning filter carts, pump basket (we have leeland cypress needles), skimmer basket (now has sock to save rolly pollies and such from entering the system). Sock is being cleaned as needed. Always watching filter pressure, especially after removing a rat July 4th. Dolphin run about 2x a day. Me brushing 2x a day as well (making sure I hit hard spots like under/behind ladder and steps/light. New bleach every few hours as needed based on test results (we have a full rolling recycle can with bleach and beer bottles). btw, I joked to my oldest son that this much bleach is either a sign of a pool or a dead body cleanup.

So the pool water looks pretty good. The walls/steps look like they are stained green and brushing does not help. The floor, both shallow and deep end, looks like a mix of green stain and blue pattern/white paths where the bleach settled and moved. The slants on the sides are green, except where they meet the floor... looking more like they should but possibly depatterned a bit from bleach or use. Again, the liner is really old and we will be replacing before next summer.

Is the green actually a stain from the algae or is there still algae holding on tight? The filter carts were still green this morning but nothing like the last couple days before. I am still losing FC so I am still SLAM'ing but I am curious if the liner will look like it did at the open house again... or if it will remain green/splotchy possibly due to staining and bleach.

BTW, thanks to kim, lisa, jason, chem geek (richard I think?), tim, and about 10 other regulars I saw helping people and having made posts that were informative for someone dealing with similar issues. Also a big thanks to all those that were having issues. I read a ton of threads over the last 5-6 days (even the really long ones). The posts let me know I had found a place with others that prefer to DIY instead of giving their money away. I tell both my boys... try to DIY almost anything at least once... then you can decide if it was worth the time/effort or if you prefer to pay someone else.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Can you post your current test results? The blotchiness may go away during the slam if it is staining from algae. If it is something else the test results will help us narrow down what it may be.

I don't have experience with a vinyl liner, but my pebbletech pool had some similar staining, but was found when the SLAM was 100% finished. So, I think there's hope!

Not "found" it was GONE. Silly autocorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I have only focused on FC/CC/CYA since starting the slam. PH was 7.6 before the bleach (according to pool store) but unable to test since SLAM due to 20+ ppm FC.

As of now:
FC: 16 ppm at 8pm, put in 96 ounces to keep it above 20 tonight (targetted 22 ppm on pool math)
CC: 1.5 (but has been fluctuating between .5 and 1, first time at 1.5)
CYA: ~50-52 (confirmed earlier today to ensure it hasn't moved)
CH: 420
TA: 100

BTW, I am colorblind, so the kit exercises involve kids for color identification.

As long as your CC is above .5 you need to keep Up the SLAM. Keep your FC above SL as often as you can. When you're home, test every hour. And BRUSH. When you have to be gone from the house, bring the FC above SL, like to mustard shock. The more you can do this the better.

A couple things that flashed into my brain...

If that's organic staining, time and bleach will fade it.
That ladder and that light are both great hiding places for algae.

The ladder can be removed by lifting the escutcheons and loosening the bolt underneath and then tapping on the bolt head. It's almost exactly like the wedge on the gooseneck of a bicycle handlebar. You don't want to remove the bolt, just loosen it and tap it down to release the wedge. Once it's out, scrubbing it and cleaning inside the tubes should be easier.

The light generally has a screw that gets loosened, and then it tilts out and gets lifted out and sits on the pool deck. Check out the pictures in this thread: Think it's time to take back my pool... - Page 2

I'm coming in as a cheerleader! You're doing a really good job of researching and following advice before you even started your first post.

And..... You gave us pictures!! We love pictures. :)

Most importantly you gave us numbers from a reliable test kit.
Awesome! :)

*rah rah rah*?

:) Welcome to TFP.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Awesome job. Keep up what your doing, once you pass OCLT and slam is over you will be able to see what stains are left and we can work on them at that time....

Welcome. I have only one tip to add:
Lesson also learned. Pouring the bleach out at waist height while leaning over pretty much ruins a shirt. Even more sad when it is your favorite shirt from your boys on father's day.

SHARPIES! They make em in all colors...get a pack ;) I've recovered a few "pool duty" articles of clothing now with Sharpies. I am left handed and not especially coordinated on a good day with a tail wind ;) I also now try to remember to throw on a smock when dosing the pool...

Keep up the good work and cheers to clear!

After the slam, if there's still stain, you can test it for metal content versus organic with some crushed up vitamin C...if the vitamin c lightens it, there's a treatment you can do post-slam.

Welcome. I have only one tip to add:

SHARPIES! They make em in all colors...get a pack ;) I've recovered a few "pool duty" articles of clothing now with Sharpies. I am left handed and not especially coordinated on a good day with a tail wind ;) I also now try to remember to throw on a smock when dosing the pool...

Keep up the good work and cheers to clear!

Good advice!! I wasn't thinking last night and was preparing for vacation. My CH is low so I decided to use my last bit of pool store cal-hypo left to bump my FC while I was gone. I mixed the cal-hypo in a bucket and it splashed on one of my favorite black shirts. I'll try the sharpie fix!! Glad that cal-hypo is gone. I've mastered the pouring of bleach with minimal splash [emoji6]

Ladder bolts were loose. One side lifts without a problem but the other side will not budge. There is even deck material over the pipe hole on that side (looks like sloppy work). Used a hard stream to clean the areas out and removed debris, but still no movement.

The pool inspection showed the light screw hole had broken and they are using a clip to hold it on. Going to figure out how to undo that.

Anyone know what this extra pipe, that is capped off, might be?
Are there any mystery returns inside the pool? I have what looks like the connector for a cleaner in my wall, and a capped pipe near my pad that I assume are connected. I've never checked. The other option is that the groundwater is close to the surface and that is where they pumped it from during construction. Or it's teed into the lawn irrigation. Or it's hooked to fresh water and nobody ever got around to putting the standpipe and hose bib on it.

Looks like you might have to get a cap and some glue standing by and saw the current cap off and see what happens.

Richard, you were right about the light. Holy cow. It was like an algae bunker. That should be added to the SLAM instructions... "When you can see the light and get to it, remove it while power off to the light and clear out the algae found." I used a hose nozzle on high pressure to clear it out first and then brushed it well. Need a new gasket for the light as it was 1/2 full almost and was since house/pool inspection. On the way to leslie's now for that and some 871.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.