The dreaded cloudy pool returns

Sep 14, 2010
Need some advice on this one...

Around 6/22-6/26 we had some torrential rains that came on just as my pool was in need of a shock. It wasn't unsalvageable, so I shocked it heavy, but the rain beat me out and raised the PH level in the pool so that it went green on me. I've been dumping about $210 worth of chemicals into it since. I believe that i've solved one problem and created another worse one:

Here is the pool chemistry history:

6/27
FC - 0ppm
TC - .19ppm
CC - .19ppm
pH - over 8.6
Hardness - 263ppm
Alk - 47ppm
CYA - 1ppm
Copper - .1ppm
Iron - .1ppm

Added 2.5 qt muriatic acid, then 30 lbs of alkalinity increaser (ph stabilizer), then 5 lbs of shock

6/30
FC - .32ppm
TC - 2.96ppm
CC - 2.64ppm
pH - 6.9
Hardness - 215ppm
Alk - 103ppm
CYA - 24ppm
Copper - .2ppm
Iron - .2ppm

Added 2lbs of pH UP, then 10 lbs of shock

7/6
FC - 9.17ppm
TC - 11.06ppm
CC - 1.89ppm
pH - 6.4
Hardness - 89ppm
Alk - 93ppm
CYA - 129ppm
Copper - .2ppm
Iron - .2ppm

Added 2.5 pH UP, then 41 lbs of calcium hardness increaser in 15 doses.

What I believe I have done here is brought the chlorine level of my pool up to the right level, but the CYA level has gone too high and now I am faced with having a cloudy pool or drain and refill.

Is there any chance my CYA level will come back down? I don't understand how it got that high.... my pool has a history of getting a high CYA level and then I have to drain and refill. I've had to do this 2 times about 4 years ago, then gave up and just paid a pool guy to balance the pool. This year I tried to save some bucks and think ... welll... ooops i did it again. Am I 'efffed?

Jake

One quick note - those readings were from the pool store. I seem to remember that the CYA test is somewhat unreliable and I have bought the TF-100 test kit off this site the last time I had a CYA problem. I just used the TF-100 kit to test the CYA level myself. It seem to be about 70ppm today 7/7.

Use the TF100 to test everything and give us those numbers. Pool store test results are unreliable. The reason pools get cloudy and algae grows is insufficient chlorine for the CYA level. Chlorine level is set based on CYA and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Chlorine should always be kept at target or a little higher and never allowed to drop below minimum or algae will grow and the will be unsanitary.

PH should be kept between 7.2 and 7.8

Pool School - Recommended Levels
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Pool School - PoolMath

It's interesting that your CYA jumped up so much when it doesn't look like you added any. Do you still have the container of "shock" that you added and can you tell us exactly what chemical was in it? If it was dichlor that would explain the jump in CYA. The best chemical to use to add chlorine, as pooldv's link says, is "liquid chlorine" from the pool store or household bleach, both of which should only contain sodium hypochlorite. It's important to realize that other forms of chlorine for shocking may be counterproductive because they change other levels too.

Of course, these test numbers may be wrong and a TF100 would be more accurate as others have said.

Jake, welcome back... You have the right test kit, now lets get you using it and keep using it... :) do all the tests and post back and we will get this.. where in the world are you, so we can have better advice... get to the store and get bleach/liquid chlorine, you will need to SLAM to get your pool clear but we need the tests first..

I already started the draining process this morning and I am well underway. It had to be done. Either fight the pool for the next 2 weeks and maybe still lose or drain and refill in 3-4 days. Its hot outside. Its time for the pool to be back on for the fam.

For informations sake, the shock I treated with with was Anthony Sylvan's Super Pool Treat. Described like this:

The Anthony & Sylvan Super Pool Treat (Granular) is a quick dissolving stabilized chlorine. With 99.5% Sodium Dichloro-S-Triazinetrione Dihdrate, it contains 55% available stabilized chlorine. This white, granular, fast dissolving chlorine compound will not cloud your pool water and can be used for chlorination as well as super chlorination. This special formulated powder can be used in any pool or spa and it comes in 5 conveniently sized containers (40 lb, 25 lb, 15 lb, 5 lb and 2 lb).

I told the pool guy I was wary of any chemical that would raise my CYA as i've had this occur two (now three) times since owning the pool circa Feb. 2008.

All 25lbs purchased were used at two separate administrations. The first brought the chlorine level up, but it fell enough to require the second application.

I hope you have found and use Pool Math, but in case you haven't:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

At the bottom of the page is a handy tool : Effects of adding chemicals

With a 30,000 gallon pool it says that 400 oz (25 lb x 16 oz = 400 oz) of dichlor (Anthony & Sylvan Super Pool Treat) will raise FC by 55, raise cya by 50, lower pH by 2.11

Once you've done your drain and fill to get your cya to a manageable level follow the SLAM procedures using liquid chlorine only so you don't keep raising your cya level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.