help with baquacil for the last year

wott

Jul 6, 2015
Bridgeport, ct
I had baquacil for the last 15 years. After the first few to 3 years my pool was cloudy. I liked baquacil because I did not want to check my pool chemicals daily. It was OK for the kids but they got older and moved out and it's only myself and my wife using pool. Now I want my pool to be clear again. I opened the pool last week and had a lot of "sludge" on the bottom. I tried to siphon most of it out and now the water is brown. I talked to a person at a pool store and they said I had to drain it all out for the conversion to chlorine. so I stayed with baquacil for this year. Probably a mistake. I dumped in a half gallon of sanitizer as requested and after 2 days I still have brown water. I have a 15 x 4 foot, above ground pool with a new 1 hp sand filter. Any suggestions for this year?

Thanks,
wott

Hello Wott, and welcome! You may want to check-out this page: Pool School - Convert Your Baqua Pool to Chlorine. Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. Welcome to the site.

Switching from BQ to Chlorine does not take draining your pool. It takes a good test kit (TF-100), a frigate load of liquid chlorine, diligence, and patience. I have a friend in Massachusetts whose conversion took 3 weeks, but if you add LC every hour, most of the heavy lifting can be done in days. Check out the article Texas Splash links, then read through some of the conversion threads (mine's there too).

thanks for your reply.
I dumped in a little oxidizer and now the pool has changed from brown to green. Still has scum on the top. I do not run the filter for 24 hours a day because my wife and I both work long hours. I now am looking at the info you sent me. I was hoping to get through the summer with baquacil, but I am now considering the change this year.

thanks again for your reply.
wott

I have to wonder - how much are you willing to spend on it in terms of time and money?

If it were me, I'd probably take the lazy/expensive route and just empty it, get a new liner, new sand (or filter) and just start over that way. Your pool (15' dia x 4ft deep) is only ~5000 gallons. Unless water is crazy expensive in CT, I'd consider a pool "reboot" option.

Just my opinion. Many folks here have pulled off the Baquacil conversion with stellar results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The less oxidizer and sanitizer & algaestat in your water the better, when it comes to conversion.

But I understand if you want to put it off. Trepidation is a normal symptom when it comes to converting. Plus it's easier to change the sand at the end of the season. Is your water clear and green or is it cloudy too? If it is cloudy, it may take some time and money to get it where you want it with BQ.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.