Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New memeber, 1st time pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

New memeber, 1st time pool owner

Hi all! I'm Joe and I am so glad to have found this site! I have zero experience with pools and I am looking forward to getting my TFP degree.

I've had my pool since Sept 2014 and have depended on the guys at the local store to tell me what to do and when to it. No problems until last month when I've had 2 green pools in one month. I decided I was tired of running to the pool store every time I needed to know the health of my pool. I wanted to do my own testing so by stalking this site I find myself the proud owner of a brand spanking new TF 100 test kit and Taylor SpeedStir.

Thanks in advance for all the advice I'm sure I'll be asking for.
    21K gallon In ground saltwater, vinyl liner, Built 09/14, Jandy sand filter, Jandy FloPro pump, Jandy Salt chorinator, Polaris
    Hot Springs Relay hot tub, 360 gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New memeber, 1st time pool owner

JOE! You are wonderful! You found TFP AND ordered the best test kit there is!

NOW where are our test results and pics of that pretty pool???????????

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Sweet! Welcome to TFP! Great first post!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP and hats off to you for promptly getting one of the recommended test kits. It will put you way ahead of the curve.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome!

I'm afraid you're going to find pool care pretty boring once you get things dialed in. You're going to miss the excitement of Wheel of Costs a Fortune.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by joemc View Post
    Hi all! I'm Joe and I am so glad to have found this site! I have zero experience with pools and I am looking forward to getting my TFP degree.

I've had my pool since Sept 2014 and have depended on the guys at the local store to tell me what to do and when to it. No problems until last month when I've had 2 green pools in one month. I decided I was tired of running to the pool store every time I needed to know the health of my pool. I wanted to do my own testing so by stalking this site I find myself the proud owner of a brand spanking new TF 100 test kit and Taylor SpeedStir.

Thanks in advance for all the advice I'm sure I'll be asking for.
    No worries! We are here to help, so CONGRATS on making such a solid, and quick decision. Didn't take you long to get tired of the run around. Good to have you aboard!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Welcome!

I'm afraid you're going to find pool care pretty boring once you get things dialed in. You're going to miss the excitement of Wheel of Costs a Fortune.

You'll find me bored and in the pool!
    21K gallon In ground saltwater, vinyl liner, Built 09/14, Jandy sand filter, Jandy FloPro pump, Jandy Salt chorinator, Polaris

8. Back To Top    #8

First real test
    Temp- 80
    FC- 4.5
    TA- 100
    CYA- 40
    PH- 7.5
    Salt- 3620

Gonna run the numbers thru Pool Math

9. Back To Top    #9

Pretty good numbers! Nice having control isn't it? Since you appear to have an SWG, I assume you'll be increasing your CYA to the recommended level of 70-80? After that, simply dialing-in your SWG to keep a healthy target of 5-6 (maybe even a hair higher if you get a lot of sun) to keep that water crystal clear. Enjoy your swimming season!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

Adding stabilizer to increase the CYA but unfortunately the CYA test seems to be the trickiest one to get an accurate reading.
    Never really considered the relationship between run time and output settings of the SWG until I read the article in Pool School. And it makes perfect sense. That may take a few weeks to find that sweet spot but will be well worth it.

11. Back To Top    #11

Yep, it takes a little time to get it all figured out and dialed in.

Here is the The Water Balance for SWG pool.

And once you have your pool figured out here is how to maintain your hot tub.
    How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach