BBQ Island Build In California - We're Doin' It!

Feb 1, 2015
California
View attachment 39500Hi all:

I just wanted first to say THANK YOU to all the posters who have shared their builds, their stories, their methods, and their successes. We've been inspired by you all to build our own, after we suffered sticker shock from a local BBQ retail store.

I bought my husband the Lion 75000 grill for Christmas (the head unit only) and we've been planning the build (and buying fixtures) since then. Our plan is a simple 13' island that will include our XL Big Green Egg, the Lion 75000 grill, an UL-approved outdoor fridge, and several doors and drawers.

DH wanted the frame to be made of aluminum; our local retail store only wanted to work with us if we were using a steel frame construction. They we also quoting $3500 for the raw island - frame and Hardibacker alone. So we decided we could do better.

We contacted Fireside Outdoor Kitchens in Georgia, and began working with them, when it was clear they'd make the aluminum frame we wanted, and ship it (in two pieces) for less than the retail store wanted for delivery. So we gave them a drawing, they converted it to a CAD/CAM drawing, and off they went.

We got the frame delivered several weeks ago. It was very much what we wanted, with two big boo-boos. 1) They did NOT install the floor they'd promised, and 2) they'd cut the opening for the two drawers under the grill to the wrong width (and off center!). We have contacted them about the error, but have had no response just yet. I will be following up. In the meantime, we need to get this project DONE, because we're hosting a family reunion at the end of this month. :shock:

DH cut the frame and re-welded the drawer openings to the correct width, and centered appropriately. He also bought sheet aluminum and has bolted/riveted into place as a floor. He also built a divider between the grill compartment and the fridge section.

The island frame is now up on the deck. The basic electric wiring has been done; switches and transformers and wiring have been mounted. He is now starting the cutting of the Wonderboard to attach to the frame.

We'll be finishing the exterior with Dryvit Acrylic Stucco (sprayed on) and we'll have a granite top. Other additions will be LED lights, and downlights too. More soon!

And progress this week:

- Two halves are now bolted together to make one long, 13' run
- Electrical boxes and switches in - made sure to use metal conduit and gangboxes to be to code for outdoor use.
- Wonderboard Lite almost finished
- Holes in floor and edges sealed with Marine Sealant to keep out critters.
- Stone panels for toe kick area purchased
- Granite slab selected

Pics from this afternoon...

1fy89l.jpg

OK, the LED lighting has arrived, as did the 1/8" clamps that DH wanted to use. Our big delay - the new DryVit color sample - arrived, and we confirmed the go-ahead with the shop this morning.

Basalt edging for the toe-kick area is now in the garage, as is the Red Guard and tile mastic for that portion of the project.

Downlights are installed, and all electrical boxes, switches, etc. Almost all the Wonderboard is mounted as well.

And we got the gas line run last week, which is critical to its operation. ;)

Happily, we have the frame mounted on a couple of furniture dollies, so we're able to steer it around on the deck to where it's needed. A genius move, if I do say so myself. ;)

People show up for the family reunion on Thursday - we'll be cooking with Wonderboard walls and a plywood top. But it's going to look fantastic when it's done. :D

Well, we used it for the family reunion this week - my cousin did his rack of ribs on it. The recipe called for a low heat of 275 for several hours, and it was tough to keep it that low; it wanted to raise to 300...in the end, we went with only one burner, as low as it would go. We also used the ceramic trays, and apparently it worked.

More experimenting, and another group cook tomorrow. :D

OK, I'm trying to remove the original 3 pics I posted that are blowing up my quota. Managing attachments in my profile only allows me to add new photos, and editing my original post doesn't have an intuitive way to delete the photos.

Anyone who can help? This is a version of vBulletin that's different from any version I've used before.

TIA!

Sandi

ETA: Found it - under Advanced, and manage attachments

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.