Darn Cat!

May 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Well, the neighbor's cat must have been walking across the cover on our AGP and fallen in. At least the cover is off the edge and in the pool and we noticed the water level was down. A day later we noticed it was very wet on the outside of the pool several feet away. We think we found all of the claw marks, but it was too cold to do a 100% thorough check as the water was coooooooold! I guess we patched 2 or 3 claw slits. They are on the north side of the pool, which catches all the sun. This will be our 4th season with the pool and we were wondering what our chances are of being able to find all the claw marks and keep the liner for a long, natural life. What is the natural life span of an AGP liner? Does everyone do the patch job dance at some point?

i LOVE the patch job dance..i usually do it in my speedo Bow chicka bow wow... :-D :oops:

anyway! finding all the claw marks shouldnt be a problem once the water is warm and u can get in. The life of your liner all depends on how well you maintain your pool water. Ive seen 3 year old liners look 20years old.... and ive seen 20 year old liners look pretty good! Keep the pool clean and the chemistry just right and you should have no problems keeping your liner nice and pretty!

My AG liner must be atleast 10-12 years old now, and besides some normal fading, it looks pretty darn good.... and good thing it does, because if it didnt i would really have to look into a different career.

Bow chicka bow wow! Can't wait!

I check and adjust PH regularly and often. I've never had any algae, but my first summer having the pool I was a nervous wreck and must have shocked the pool 5 times unnecessarily. I never saw any bleaching effects on the liner from that though. I've calmed down in that department and have always had sparkling clear water. I added some salt to the mix last summer, about 2200ppm, but haven't heard that shortens a liner's life.

10 years huh. I wonder if I'll get sick of this one sooner than that and just want a change! My father-in-law nursed along a plain ole baby blue liner for 25 year once. He was always in there gluing and patching. I don't know if I have the stomach for that though. A frequent topic of conversation was always "I think I have a small leak..." He is a Baqua guy too. Wonder if that had something to do with it also.

hey shelly :)

im confused a bit... you said you added salt, im assumeing its has a chlorine generator on it? or as some ppl call them "a salt water pool" as far as shocking the pool goes.. im a FIRM believer a little more, is better then not enough...

it all depends on how many people use the pool, how much sun it gets, How hot it is that week, and also how much rain you got that week.

it also depends on which type of shock you use too! the cheap shock, calcium hypo can damage a liner if just thrown into the pool.. running it slowly through the skimmer with the filter on is the best way imo. others will disagree but i do not have all day to sit an disolve shock in a bucket of water :sleep: :sleep: id rather be doin the sexy patch dance or whatever it is you do :goodjob:

you can also use lithium shock, its the most expensive but it disolves fast and from what ive seen and read it doesnt bleach the liner over years of use. many pools i service use it on a weekly basis and the liners look as new as day 1

also if you DO have a salt water pool.. doesnt your chlorine generator have a "shock" or "super chlorinate" setting where it automaticly does it for you?

talk to ya soon
Matt

oh and as far as the baby blue liner HAHAHA its my parents pool and thats they same liner!!! ive offered to put a nice one in for them, but hes happy with the baby blue one.... thats funny! 25years.... hey, if it works... it works!

Heck -

No salt water generator. Just went to HD and got myself 2 bsag of softner salt and dumped them in. Feels great.

We live in Denver, Colorado. Rain?...now that's funny. We get 11-14"" a year. Sun...something we have in spades and closer to it than you are too.

I'm a BBB purist. Never used anything but bleach.

Regarding the baby blue liner...isn't that just the generation gap. His dad will buy used pants and we buy three pair we don't need because they're on sale. I'm not sure which group I wish I belonged to.

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Shelley
Denver, CO

frustratedpoolmom- glad i coudl help!! in person its ever better!!!

shelly, thats pretty cool... ive been working on pools for 6 years now and not once have i heard that!! ill have to check it out

im a BIG fan of "natural chemistrys" Pool perfect Plus phos free- it keeps pools soooo clear and the water nice and silky feeling.. best chemical ive ever used by far. And the fact thats its all natural is a big plus for me.

its HECK! lol not huck :rant: :-D

One of the principals of the BBB method is to avoid putting anything in your water that you don't need. Most people, most of the time, don't need Pool Perfect or Phos Free. They are both fine products if you have the problems that they are designed to deal with, but most people don't have those problems and can save their money to spend on something else.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For example, I have 2000-3000 ppb phosphates in my pool (my fill water has 300-500 ppb phosphates used as a corrosion inhibitor added by my water district) yet don't get algae growth because I maintain the appropriate Free Chlorine (FC) level relative to the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level according to the Chlorine / CYA Chart. The only time I'd use a phosphate remover or a weekly algaecide would be if I was unable or unwilling to maintain a minimum FC level appropriate to the CYA level. In that case, the extra cost of such products would be like insurance.

For a commercial service maintaining pools and only visiting them once a week, perhaps using a PolyQuat 60 algaecide or a phosphate remover is worth the price since the odds of the FC getting too low are much higher, but for those of us following BBB to maintain our pools on a more regular basis, these extra products are unnecessary. During the summer, I only add 12.5% chlorinating liquid to my 16,000 gallon pool about twice a week. I have an opaque electric safety cover so have around 1 ppm FC per day chlorine demand with the pool in use every day. I only add a couple of cups of acid about every month or so. The chlorine costs me only $15 per month. That's all I add. Simple and inexpensive.

Richard

i agree with you both 100% and i always tell my customers the less chemicals the better, where as other local companies use a hand cart to bring in the chemical load to the homeowners car... its insane. But like you said its like insurance... The pools that i maintain and use the pool perfect plus phos free are "summer/ vacation homes" only GOD knows what goes on in those pools after a weekend of drinking and partying. i also love the product due to the fact it keeps the filters cleaner, and the scum lines around the pool and steps a thing of the past...

The very large company i first started at MADE all of his weekly cleaning customers purchase, shock, chlorine, algaecide, pool perfect& phos free, and clarifier... and i felt horrible when customers would day.. ya know.. the last company didnt use this much chemicals and the pool looked fine??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.