Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rear mount vs. bottom mount pressure gauge?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Rear mount vs. bottom mount pressure gauge?

The pressure gauge on my filter is the rear mount type. I'm wondering if it's possible to replace it with the bottom mount type so it could be viewed my looking straight down at it instead of bending over to view it from the side?
    Does that make sense?
    Would it work?
    I can't see why it wouldn't, but I don't know if the way the gauge is oriented affects the mechanism of how it works? I have no real understanding of the mechanics of how the thing works...
    (Beyond the basics, that is: internal pressure in the tank rises when the flow is impeded by filtered gunk and then backwashing restores the unimpeded flow, thus reducing the pressure, and round and round it goes...�� )
    But is the gauge designed to work only if the dial is vertical?
    Would it make a difference if it is the glycerin-filled type of dial or not?

Anyone who wants to educate me-- please, bring it on. I love to learn.

Also, on a related note:
    When I disconnect it to replace it, I just have to turn off the pump, and close the intake and return valves on either side of the pump/filter, right? Then I won't have water running out the hole for more than a couple seconds?
    I plan to take the gauge with me to the store, so I get the right size... or the parts to make it work...
    Last edited by AprilsZoo; 07-07-2015 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Additional question.

🌵 April 🌸
    Some of my posts may be long... but they're *always* worth it! 🙃

👙 Intex UltraFrame 21' x 52" {~10,000 gal.} 🐠 Krystal Klear 16" Sand Filter 🐳 Pentair Intelliflo 1.5 hp Variable Speed Pump🐬 Borates @ ~50 ppm 🐚 Taylor K-2006 test kit & SpeedStir🌀

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rear mount vs. bottom mount pressure gauge?

It doesn't matter which way they are oriented for all practical purposes. There is a little curved tube in there that gets straightened when pressure is applied. There is a little gear and arm attached that makes the dial on the gauge move as the tube is straightened.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 what n240sxguy said......it makes no difference.

If you are considering one from tftestkits.net, keep in mind they are usually larger than normal gauges. They are 2.5 inches in diameter so make sure it would fit.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow!!! That was FAST! Thanks.

Thanks for the explanation, also.
    When I get the new one, I think I'm gonna take the old one apart... I'm one of those people who likes to see the "guts" of stuff. It doesn't *usually* get me into trouble...

🌵 April 🌸
    Some of my posts may be long... but they're *always* worth it! 🙃

👙 Intex UltraFrame 21' x 52" {~10,000 gal.} 🐠 Krystal Klear 16" Sand Filter 🐳 Pentair Intelliflo 1.5 hp Variable Speed Pump🐬 Borates @ ~50 ppm 🐚 Taylor K-2006 test kit & SpeedStir🌀