Chemical Dissolving (CYA, CH)

Need to check to see if I did something wrong in adding my Calcium Hardness (Calcium Plus) and CYA (HTH Pool Conditioner and Stabilizer). Refilled the pool and added at least 8 lbs worth of CYA via sock in skimmer. Sock was emptied overnight. Added Calcium by mixing/dissolving in a HD bucket, then pouring it into my pool. Pump has been running for over a week.

There is a white powder that seems to be sitting (settling) on the bottom of my pool if I turn the pump off. I assume it is the CYA since it is still not registering in my Taylor tests. Could this be my CH instead? I've searched through the forums and most people just say, put it in the sock in the skimmer. Retest in a week. This is over a week and my chlorine is getting used up quickly. Am I doing something wrong? I'm tempted to just give in a buy the liquid stabilizer to save me the time and money of driving to HD every 3 days and restocking up on gallons upon gallons of bleach. Thoughts?

Must be either the CH or could also be DE on the floor. No way the CYA should be able to pass through the filter.

I added 4 pounds of HTH stabilizer in 2 socks in my skimmer and after over a week it was still not all dissolved (not squeezing enough), so I wonder how yours all dissolved overnight. 8 pounds in your pool would add about 30ppm, so you should be getting a reading close to that.

My only thought is that maybe the stitching in my used dressed sock was loose and let the granules pass through easily. DE was added into the skimmer and has never made it past the filter. CH appeared to be dissolved when I poured it in (bucket, water, CH, mixer via cordless drill attachment, then poured into pool).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Something is clearly wrong. CYA becomes soluble in skimmer. There are no solids left so what's on the floor is not CYA....might be residual from your CH dose.

A week is plenty for the CYA to become apparent in the test......it's usually just 3 days or so.

Sounds like your CYA was bogus stuff or your tests are not performing properly.

How much chlorine in ppm are you losing daily?

So I checked my Polaris after getting home from work and it was not working. The filter screen was clogged. A Google search suggests that it could be an issue with my pentair filter - cartridge or gasket. Possibly DE on the bottom?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Just as a follow up in case anyone else has this problem:

It turned out to be user error. I did not put my filter cartridges back on correctly. The manifold did not sit on perfectly, thus allowing DE to return back into my pool when the pump was on. This caused my Polaris to clog, and was the source of all the white powder in my pool.

I've learned that it is better to put the filter cartridge assembly back together outside of the actual housing. This allows a clearer view of grids to make sure they are sitting in the right grove. After you put the manifold back on it and screw down the bolt, you just drop the entire assembly into the housing - making sure that it is aligned with the pipe. Lesson learned. Glad I took another look at this before deciding to buy new cartridges.

Thanks to everyone that contributed/responded. Hope this helps someone else in the future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.