Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rain rain go away!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Rain rain go away!!

Hello everyone! We have been trying to get this pool up for weeks! After numerous setbacks, we finally began filling about three days ago. We are almost to the point where the cut is needed for the skimmer. My dilemma is the rain. It rained all night and we are looking at two more days of rain. So what should I do now? Just wait or should I go ahead and place the stabilizer in the sock and/or add any chlorine? I don't want the water to get funky! Oh and we do not have a cover; however, we do have 90% of it covered with a tarp.
    Boonville, Missouri
    24x48 AG vinyl liner. Hayward XStream 1.5hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rain rain go away!!

Well, if you are going to be replacing or draining much water, then it's cheaper to keep a little free chlorine in there until you aren't. If you stay covered though, won't that keep rain out? If not, replace chlorine until it drys out some. With no Cya, it only takes 3 PPM or so to stay good, but if you get any sun, that will be gone in no time at zero Cya
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

So far, I don't think we will have to drain as we aren't even full yet. The cover that is on there is basically a tarp and it is holding only water right now (no leaves, bugs, etc). it is a square cover on a round pool, so there is a small spot uncovered on two sides. The sun hasn't been out today and rain is in the forecast for tomorrow, so probably be cloudy again. I just didn't want to pull that cover off and have the start of green water or algae since we haven't even got the skimmer hole cut, of course the pump isn't running.
    Boonville, Missouri

4. Back To Top    #4

Rain has zero effect on algae. Not sure where this myth originated
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

5. Back To Top    #5

I apologize. I wasn't implying that the rain was the issue. My concern was with the fresh fill being covered up for days WHILE it rained, without being sanitized. Hope that makes sense.
    Boonville, Missouri

6. Back To Top    #6

gotcha. remove the tarp and enjoy that free fill from the rain! just keep your FC up is all, no need to keep it covered at this point
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

My Intex has been taking a few days to fill. (We went away for two days, didn't want to full while we weren't there) I added a little bleach and used the net to swish it around. It got me thinking about how people seem surprised that their pool can go green so soon after filling. It would be those, like me, who are taking more than two days to get it filled. It then goes quite a while with no chlorine. They count from the day they turned on the filter, not when they actually filled it. I didn't use very much cl., as there isn't any CYA in yet.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

8. Back To Top    #8

no reason you cant keep the pool chlorinated during long refill. just add your bleach and use a brush to mix the water. it will be fine. you will lose more during the day with no CYA but just hit it twice and definitely get it up for the night hours so it can fight the algae without fighting the sun. to throw your CYA in from the get go.
    Dan