Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE Resting on Bottom Surface or Algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

DE Resting on Bottom Surface or Algae?

I did a complete cleaning of my Hayward DE filter just last week and had an issue with the seal on the relief valve which led to some DE slurry getting back into the pool. I came back from work 5 days later, tested the water (FC 0.5, CC 0, pH 7.4, TA 110, cYA 60, CH 230) and came across this...

The pool cover had blown off the pool and was only covering the right half of the photo as you can see. This stuff is resting on the surface of the pool and has a green/brown color to it while grey where it wasn't exposed to the sunlight. Could someone possibly confirm this is likely just DE that I can vacuum up and not algae? I'm a bit paranoid and wondering if I need to SLAM the pool now.
    28,000gal IG plaster, Leslie's Crystal Clear II DE Fliter, Pentair 2HP 2 speed, Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE Resting on Bottom Surface or Algae?

The dark stuff isn't DE, but looks like Algae, and your FC is low enough for it to grow for sure. Your Cya is a bit high,Mobutu very high with 0.5 FC. Is any of this dark stuff elsewhere in the pool?
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

It's dark just in the area that got sunlight. Everywhere else it looks like grey DE sand dunes. It kicks up when when disturbed too. Doesn't algae tend to grab on to the surface and need brushing?

CyA was brought up (for the sunlight) right after the filter cleaning per a recommendation from the Testing and Balancing Your Water sub. I brought FC up to 7 right before I left for the 6 days I was on the road.
    28,000gal IG plaster, Leslie's Crystal Clear II DE Fliter, Pentair 2HP 2 speed, Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

What you are describing as DE sounds more like dead algae to me.

Based on your test results, FC dropped too low while you were gone.

And now you need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

FC of 7 is the target that should be maintained daily. FC should always be at or above target. Anytime FC drops below minimum algae will start to grow and the pool is unsanitary. Next time you will be away from the pool for a while raise FC to shock level.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for all the responses. I did vacuum everything up and raise the FC back up to 7.

Unfortunately, I have to leave again for several days and can't SLAM the pool until I get back. What would be a good level to leave the FC at before I leave?

7. Back To Top    #7

Raise the FC up to shock level. Cover the pool.

Then follow the SLAM process when you get back.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Got it jblizzle. Thanks!