Adding Acid - DON'T DO WHAT I DID! - Now I Am Off to the Doctor

No need to measure small volumes. Using an empty jug, measure volume increments into the jug. Mark the outside of the jug. Transfer marks to new jug. Estimate according to the mark while pouring. Minimize risk. If MA makes you uncomfortable don't use it. Period. Use dry acid. All that money spent on safety equipment that didn't work in this instance can buy a lot of dry. Pools are supposed to be fun people.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. If I have to look like Darth Vader when taking care of my pool, I will go back to traditional methods of pool care...

Safety glasses will prevent splashing of acid into the eye but won't prevent fumes. If one didn't have a mask, then one could smell the fumes and pull away, but of course it would be better to be able to pour in a way that didn't fume and that means pouring directly into the pool and not into a bucket first.

people, just open the jug and lower it to the pool water level and gently pour it in, away from your face. put on a pair of safety glasses to avoid a splash. the less steps and "procedures" you have, the less opportunities to mess up.
Good advice here. Acid doesn't frighten me in the least. I have added it to my pool for nine years with never a close call. I am comfortable adding it with my good clothes on.

I HANDLE IT AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE!!. I remove the cap and then, not standing over it and not downwind, I simply lower the jug into the water and tip it. The splashless stream of acid goes directly in front of a return. The distance from the bottle to the water level is about an inch, depending on the fullness of the jug.

If ANYTHING were to cause a spill, I am about 1/2 a second away from submersing myself in the pool where any contact with the acid would be harmlessly diluted.

I do not intend to criticize any one else's method of handling it but I am incredibly comfortable doing what I do and have thought it through very carefully. I have an advantage with my large pool in that an overshoot or undershoot with pouring directly from the jug means almost no thin. In a small pool, you may have to be more precise but I still would not remove it from it's original container

I do about the exact same thing as Dave, except I measure into a measuring cup (kinda hard to appoximate 8 oz). I use the full strength acid, 31.45%.

I bring my acid bucket to the poolside, and only then do I take the acid jug and measuring cup out. Nobody comes near me when I handle it, and all of my movements are careful and deliberate. For PPE I wear safety glasses. Once I measure the acid dose, the jug is capped and placed into the bucket immediately. Once I pour the acid and rinse the cup, it goes into the bucket and the lid replaced.

I recognize that this stuff is dangerous, and I handle it very carefully. Storing it safely is just as important too. I keep only one gallon at a time, and it lives inside a 5 gallon bucket with a lid, which functions as secondary fume containment and overpack in case of leaks. I also put hazmat placards on my bucket that look like my avatar, except it says 1789 (hydrochloric acid) instead of 1791 (sodium hypochlorite). That may be a little much but it's nice to know that what is inside is hazardous, no matter who moves the bucket.

Stay safe everyone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.