I thought I was taking every precaution when adding acid to my pool.
Hose to wash off acid splash
Bucket to contain acid if leaked
Last night, at about 9pm, I opened the 14.5% acid in a bucket. It had the seal on the opening. The seal didn't want to come off. I had to lean over the acid so I could get some leverage. I got the seal off, and within 15 seconds my eyes were burning. I didn't smell anything, because I had a charcoal respirator. I thought it would be something temporary, and I added the acid to the pool. Then I realized the stinging wasn't getting any better. I looked online, and various agencies said to flush for 15 minutes, which I did. The stinging persisted. My eyes are bloodshot and stinging this morning.
Now I am off to see an ophthalmologist.
Make sure there is some wind behind you, or use a fan.
Use a tool, such as pliers to get the seal off, rather than leaning over it.
I can't even imagine what would happen if this splashed in your eyes, or you got a lung full of it. Make sure you have the safety equipment. There is no turning back once this acid gets to your body.
I am going to get a full face respirator. Regular safety googles aren't enough. Going without isn't worth it.