Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plug in timer question

1. Back To Top    #1

Plug in timer question

I bought a plug in timer for my Intex Cartridge Filter & Pump. This pump has the 'reset' and 'test' buttons on the actual plug that gets plugged into the timer.

I started the pump manually for 5 hours and it shut off correctly, but then the next day when its supposed to turn on it doesn't because the 'test' button was used when the timer shut it off. So I have to go outside and press the reset button on the plug and then it will shut off.

Will these timers only work with pumps that have an on/off switch on the pump with a regular plug?

Hope I explained this well.
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Plug in timer question

Do you have another gfci in either the plug socket or the breaker for the pump circuit? More than one gfci on a circuit will cause one of them to trip.

3. Back To Top    #3

yeah the plug-in timer is plugged into a GFCI outlet.

so the order is the pump (which has the reset/test on the plug) is plugged into the woods timer which is plugged into an outdoor GFCI outlet box.

I guess the only way to solve this problem is get a new pump, one that doesn't have the GFCI on the plug???
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

4. Back To Top    #4

Or change the plug fixture to a single outlet from a duplex. That way you can't put anything else in there that wouldn't have a GFCI. Something like this Commercial Electrical 20 Amp, Single Receptacle, Industrial Heavy Duty Grade, Straight Blade, 125 Volt, Self Grounding, Brown/Gray/Ivory/Red/Light Almond/White, 5361 : Single
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall