Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Maintaining chlorine while away for two weeks?

1. Back To Top    #1

Maintaining chlorine while away for two weeks?

Hello,

We have really been enjoying our AG Intex pool so far this summer (18'x48"). With the TF100 test kit, maintaining proper chemistry has been easy. However, we will soon be away from the pool for about 2 weeks and won't be able to feed my pool chlorine daily like I do now.

What can I do to prep the water so that I won't come home to algae? Can increase my chlorine level substansially, put my solar cover on, and my pool cover on and let the sand filter run on its daily timer? What else can/should I do?

Thank you,

Jason
    AG Intex Ultra Frame 18x48 - new for '15. TF100 test kit. Intex 3,000 gph sand filter/pump, Solar Cover, Intex magnetic pool light, Hayward Skimmer, Laars 250kBtu/hr NG heater. Intex SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Maintaining chlorine while away for two weeks?

What is your current CYA at? If you have room to breathe on the CYA, like if it's at 30 ppm, you could use a combo of bringing up the pool to SLAM level FC, normal filter timer and put some trichlor pucks in a floater. This would keep things at bay for at least a week if well covered with an opaque cover, but will raise your CYA if you use the tabs. Otherwise, you could bring to SLAM level and after several days have a neighbor test the FC with your K-1000 color match and instruct them how to dose when needed. I'd make sure to bring your pH to 7.2, 7.4 before going. Posting your current levels would help with the advice.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks JVTrain.

Current chlorine is at 6ppm. CYA measured this morning was 37. Just added a sock with stabilizer to the skimmer this morning to bring CYA up to 45 in a week's time (using pool math). PH at 7.7.
    AG Intex Ultra Frame 18x48 - new for '15. TF100 test kit. Intex 3,000 gph sand filter/pump, Solar Cover, Intex magnetic pool light, Hayward Skimmer, Laars 250kBtu/hr NG heater. Intex SWG.

4. Back To Top    #4

Take out the sock and use the pucks when it is vacation time.

I keep my CYA in the 35 ppm range. When I go on vacation I leave the filter on its timer, I run the pool up to shock levels, I put the solar cover on, and a throw a floater with a trichlor tab in it in the pool.

I forget the exact number (its written on a cork board in the pool shed) but I think one tab raises my CYA 1.8 ppm - not a big deal. For the two tabs a season that I use (for two weeks vacation) it rains enough to dilute that out.

I if my CC is 0 when I get back, I just raise the FC to where it should be. If for some reason I have any CCs, then I SLAM (I cant remember the last time I had any sort of real level of CC)

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

5. Back To Top    #5

Alternatively to the pucks, could I use bleach to get up to the 40 -50 ppm range (or higher) on FC and let it slowly drift down? With light-proof cover on I would think the chlorine would not break down as quickly. Would that level of chlorine damage the vinyl pool, sand filter?

6. Back To Top    #6

Considering that even adding bleach directly to the sand media (overnight, did it several years) did not damage it, your sand filter should be OK with mere 50ppm.

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't think that high of a level would be recommended and FC loss is a percentage of the total so you would have significant loss early with possibility of being low before you returned.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

50 ppm is Very high. I would worry about my liner fading.

As others said, loss is a percentage of the total. My opinion is that if you clean your pool well, run the FC up to 20 ppm or so, and then cover the pool, you may have to SLAM when you get home, but nothing like a green monster.

Be aware that having a FC about 2 or 3 ppm will void the warranty on many solar covers (Mine has been voided since day 1)

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

For less than $100 and about 4 bags of salt, it's hard to beat this.

Walmart: Intex Krystal Clear Saltwater System, 15,000 Gallon
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation