Gunite vs. Shotcrete-Texas

Nov 22, 2014
Dallas Texas
Hi all, we are in the final process of selecting a pool builder. The we are down to two and the price/amenities are within 3k of each other. One builder uses shotcrete and another gunite. If anyone has an informed opinion on the two methods and which is ultimately better with our variable texas soils, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

In theory gunite has a higher compressive strength than shotcrete. However they are so close that it depends on the individual application. As long as you are using an experienced crew it really doesn't matter. A shotcrete pool surface will be rougher than an gunite pool, however that surface is covered by the plaster. Some large builders have their own shotcrete crews -- I am not aware of any PBs who do their own gunite. I would want a crew that all they did was gunite or shotcrete.

As to differences -- in a normal pool with experienced applicators on a normal day and good followup for curing --- no discernable difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.