Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Gunite vs. Shotcrete-Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

Dallas Texas

Gunite vs. Shotcrete-Texas

Hi all, we are in the final process of selecting a pool builder. The we are down to two and the price/amenities are within 3k of each other. One builder uses shotcrete and another gunite. If anyone has an informed opinion on the two methods and which is ultimately better with our variable texas soils, I'd love to hear it.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Dean, Texas

Re: Gunite vs. Shotcrete-Texas

Shotcrete is wet gun application vs gunite being a dry gun application. Shotcrete is mixed at the nozzle. Both are forms of concrete just applied in a different manner.
    102 Perimeter Freeform Pool, Rock Waterfall, Jandy Deck Jets, Depth 3'6" - 6', Stonescapes Aqua Blue Mini Pebble, Inpool Table, Rock Salt Decking, Jandy 2.0 Epump, Jandy 580 Cartridge Filter, Polaris 280 with booster pump, Jandy Power Center w/ PDA, Stenner Pump
    A country boy's pool build...Dean, Texas

3. Back To Top    #3

Sacramento, CA

In theory gunite has a higher compressive strength than shotcrete. However they are so close that it depends on the individual application. As long as you are using an experienced crew it really doesn't matter. A shotcrete pool surface will be rougher than an gunite pool, however that surface is covered by the plaster. Some large builders have their own shotcrete crews -- I am not aware of any PBs who do their own gunite. I would want a crew that all they did was gunite or shotcrete.

As to differences -- in a normal pool with experienced applicators on a normal day and good followup for curing --- no discernable difference.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Heliocol solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Good workmanship, as mentioned makes the most difference, I agree.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr