Hello from Houston!

Jul 6, 2015
Houston, TX
Hi,

I'm new to TFPC, but it looks like there's a lot of great information on here and I've already learned a ton!

I look forward to sharing and learning more.

-Kevin

Gz8YdMvl.jpg

Y1YOg5Dl.jpg

wNsBo0Il.jpg

oFMTTqSl.jpg

uVQ8HLkl.jpg

GsA0Besl.jpg

8A6YmTKl.jpg

ukRwGMDl.jpg

BRheEiil.jpg

3sNdYqNl.jpg

T44KrOjl.jpg

tnA9x2ol.jpg

NgqgjFYl.jpg

wIckPr1l.jpg

vGtxHe2l.jpg

YcxOpTBl.jpg

fbwucuEl.jpg

9DzjMfxl.jpg

qj0Wf3pl.jpg

RdMJ6Bll.jpg

j1UFNZgl.jpg

81FkYIRl.jpg

v9EMNedl.jpg

Jyi88Sxl.jpg

JOKc3Xbl.jpg

lFdcnwdl.jpg

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Time for your first advice....

You probably will not want to use the in line chlorinator as your primary source of chlorine for the pool. They lead to unmanageable levels of stabilizer in the water fairly quickly.

Second, You will want to order a FAS-DPD Test which will convert that K-2005 kit to the K-2006 which we recommend. I also have and recommend the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Time for your first advice....

You probably will not want to use the in line chlorinator as your primary source of chlorine for the pool. They lead to unmanageable levels of stabilizer in the water fairly quickly.

So i'm learning.

Lately, I've been trying to increase my chlorine levels by cranking up my chlorinator and adding a bunch of shock (dichloro), but this has caused my CYA levels to jump up to 80-90. I'm hoping that if I switch to liquid chlorine, I'll slowly see a reverse without having to do a partial drain.

Second, You will want to order a FAS-DPD Test which will convert that K-2005 kit to the K-2006 which we recommend. I also have and recommend the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.

I'll do that. Will that just increase the accuracy of the tests?

Welcome to TFP!

Kvoisier said:
Lately, I've been trying to increase my chlorine levels by cranking up my chlorinator and adding a bunch of shock (dichloro), but this has caused my CYA levels to jump up to 80-90. I'm hoping that if I switch to liquid chlorine, I'll slowly see a reverse without having to do a partial drain.
You will see a reduction in CYA, but the emphasis will be on slowly as much of this will happen due to splash-out, water top-offs, and backwashes. Although a CYA of 80-90 is high, we've seen far higher. You'll be fine as long as you keep on top of your FC levels using liquid bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So i'm learning.

I'll do that. Will that just increase the accuracy of the tests?

The FAS/DPD will allow you to test levels of chlorine higher than 5ppm, which you will need with a CYA of 80-90. If we split the difference and say your target FC level is 7-12ppm with a CYA of 85, that means you never want to let the FC drop below 7ppm. You will need the FAS/DPD test to tell you if you have hit 12ppm or not. Whenever you add chlorine you want to shoot for the high end of the range and test it daily until you have a feel for how your pool consumes chlorine.