From no algae to dead algae

Spades

Oct 3, 2014
Riverside, CA
The water is crystal clear, no slippery junk on the walls or floor or any signs of algae forming, but i always seem to find dead algae on the floor every few days. I vacuum it up into a Duda Deisel filter bag which works great, but after a few days i find dead algae collecting all over again. Is this a normal cycle of the chlorine doing its work? Is it normal to have to vacuum every so often? I thought that if i kept the water chemistry in check that i wouldnt even have any dead algae to clean up because it wouldnt be able to form in the first place.:confused:

Or is this simply a case of poor circulation due to too small of an original pump that it came with?

Spades, typically we see posts of people who have a considerable amount of dead algae following a SLAM. I don't recall if you did one recently. If not, I would recommend you do an OCLT to see if there is any excess overnight FC loss. I typically don't have to vacuum because of (dead) algae, only to clean-up dirt, debris, and bugs that accumulate in my pool each week. You mention in your note and signature some filter upgrade or concerns, but remember that while a pump and filters have their limitations, it's the water chemistry that determines if algae can survive in your water. I would suggest doing an OCLT and at your next opportunity consider posting a full set of results for everyone to review. Maybe we'll see something there as well. Good luck.

I'm curious how you know it's algae? We have lots of stuff end up on the bottom of our pool that could appear to be algae. Pollen, tiny leaves, other tiny plant parts.

It is absolutely normal to have to vacuum. I do it at least once a week.

No Slam, this is just a day-day basis that i see. I dont ever see any green, just goes from no sign of any algae to dead algae on the floor.. But now jmcdtucson has me thinking, its certainly possible that it isnt dead algae that im seeing, but i can say that its dark gray color and rather grainy or very fine sand-like substance. And when disturbed gets mixed in with the water and cant be seen until the next morning when its all settled on the floor again

Last edited:
Well ive found my problem to be a leak in an adapter fitting I made to connect the flexible return hose to the Duda Diesel filter bag, causing whatever i vacuum to bypass the bag and go right back into the pool. I fixed it couple days ago and the junk has not returned ever since. So i guess what i thought was ongoing formation was just looping the whole time

Test readings are:
CYA 30
TC 6
FC 6
TA 40

My TA seems low but i dont have pH fluctuations, should i still raise it anyway?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.