Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: From no algae to dead algae

1. Back To Top    #1

From no algae to dead algae

The water is crystal clear, no slippery junk on the walls or floor or any signs of algae forming, but i always seem to find dead algae on the floor every few days. I vacuum it up into a Duda Deisel filter bag which works great, but after a few days i find dead algae collecting all over again. Is this a normal cycle of the chlorine doing its work? Is it normal to have to vacuum every so often? I thought that if i kept the water chemistry in check that i wouldnt even have any dead algae to clean up because it wouldnt be able to form in the first place.

Or is this simply a case of poor circulation due to too small of an original pump that it came with?
    16x48 Summer Escapes Pro-Series Above Ground frame pool, 5000 gal, Intex sand filter - Looking for heating solutions for AGPs

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: From no algae to dead algae

Spades, typically we see posts of people who have a considerable amount of dead algae following a SLAM. I don't recall if you did one recently. If not, I would recommend you do an OCLT to see if there is any excess overnight FC loss. I typically don't have to vacuum because of (dead) algae, only to clean-up dirt, debris, and bugs that accumulate in my pool each week. You mention in your note and signature some filter upgrade or concerns, but remember that while a pump and filters have their limitations, it's the water chemistry that determines if algae can survive in your water. I would suggest doing an OCLT and at your next opportunity consider posting a full set of results for everyone to review. Maybe we'll see something there as well. Good luck.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm curious how you know it's algae? We have lots of stuff end up on the bottom of our pool that could appear to be algae. Pollen, tiny leaves, other tiny plant parts.

It is absolutely normal to have to vacuum. I do it at least once a week.
    Intex 12'x24'x52"
    8,403 gallons
    Intex SF60110 2450 GPH Sand Filter
    Intex CS8110 SWG
    Aquabot AJET121I Pool Rover S20-40

4. Back To Top    #4

No Slam, this is just a day-day basis that i see. I dont ever see any green, just goes from no sign of any algae to dead algae on the floor.. But now jmcdtucson has me thinking, its certainly possible that it isnt dead algae that im seeing, but i can say that its dark gray color and rather grainy or very fine sand-like substance. And when disturbed gets mixed in with the water and cant be seen until the next morning when its all settled on the floor again
    16x48 Summer Escapes Pro-Series Above Ground frame pool, 5000 gal, Intex sand filter - Looking for heating solutions for AGPs

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Pools do get dirty, that is why we vacuum.

What do you have for a test kit? As mentioned, post a full set of test results, and perform an OCLT to see if something is indeed brewing in there.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...loss-test-oclt

If you nip it in the bud it will be a much easier SLAM if needed.

Dom
    Last edited by domct203; 07-08-2015 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Could it be dust/dirt from a busy road or blowing off the land?
    Intex 24'x12'x52" Ultra Frame (2014), 8400 gallons (31800 litres), Intex sand filter and pump, Intex SWG, AquaBot Pura4xi, solar blanket. Proud owner of Hydropool Serenity 5 Hot Tub! Taylor K-2006 Test Kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

Well ive found my problem to be a leak in an adapter fitting I made to connect the flexible return hose to the Duda Diesel filter bag, causing whatever i vacuum to bypass the bag and go right back into the pool. I fixed it couple days ago and the junk has not returned ever since. So i guess what i thought was ongoing formation was just looping the whole time

Test readings are:
    CYA 30
    TC 6
    FC 6
    TA 40

My TA seems low but i dont have pH fluctuations, should i still raise it anyway?