How far can my pump/filter/heater be from the pool?

kris77

May 27, 2014
Clarksburg, WV
So i have a deck completely around my pool. I'm looking to move the pump/filter from underneath the deck. I'd like to put it on a pad next to the house but its about 40'-50' away.

I have a 1 1/2 hp Hawyard Matrix pump and a 180T sand filter. Looking at getting a Raypak heater shortly as well. I know IG pools have their equipment located pretty far away from the pool, and I dont see why I couldn't move my AG equipment farther away as well.

Anyone have any pics of different setups like i'm describing?

So let me rephrase this question.

I have been reading and realize that if I use 2" PVC I can move it this distance.....I think. Will I need to get a new skimmer basket? I'm pretty sure mine is only 1 1/2". Or does that even matter? The skimmer and return are both 1 1/2" and all connections on my pump are 1 1/2". Will I need to change everything to 2" or just use the 2" trunk line between the pool and pump?

Or can I just use 1 1/2" pvc and not have to change anything?

This is a great question for mas. I'd pm him the link or maybe he'll see It here. I know he stops in here often. I think the only thing you'll have to worry about is head loss due to any turns you put in the plumbing.

Please post pics of your deck. I'd love to see it.

Deck isnt 100% yet. Still trying to decide on railing, but i'll get some pics today when I get home....

Its 3' wide on 3 sides of the pool and 12' long on the 4th side. I had a thread started a few weeks ago with some early pics of it....Maybe i'll try and find that and update it tomorrow.

Looks to me like that chart is for head pressure, not distance, can't click in right now.

Use a fitting at the skimmer to go from 1-1/2" to 2" and you will be fine. 50' of horizontal distance is not an issue at all.

I'm going to measure tonight and see how long it actually is. I need a better place for my equipment. My pool is in a weird spot in relation to my house and deck and porch and patio...lol I just don't have a good spot for a pump/filter/heater to sit without being in the way all the time.

Can you put it behind the pool so you can't see it from your patio?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.