Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I think I've fought off the algae, but I have a filter question...

1. Back To Top    #1

I think I've fought off the algae, but I have a filter question...

I passed two of the three criteria for fighting off the algae (FC/CC/OCLT) this last evening (I think I would've passed a couple days ago, but was out of reagent), but I still have the cloudy blue water. I can tell it is getting better, but it's taking it's dear sweet time. I've been running the filter (Tagelus 60 sand filter) pretty much continuously 24/7 since around the 27th or 28th (had a couple of nights off, because the pump got into a rhythmic hum that had me worried). I did backwash every other day and then I did about 3 days in a row, but my question is regarding pressure. It's clean pressure is 20, but it's not moving past that at all - eh, maybe 21. The gauge does go to zero when turned off and changes during backwash/rinse/waste. Do I need to backwash if that pressure isn't increasing? Should I be expecting pressure build up fairly quickly or does it just take longer than I'm expecting? I do have skimmer sock that I put on the skimmer the day before yesterday, but even before that, I didn't see pressure rising.

Including some progress pics of the pool to show the TFP method works!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16x32 IG Vinyl 22K gal, Tagelus Deluxe High Rate Sand Filter TA-60D, Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1MF-S pump, Hayward CL-200 Chlorine Feeder (NOT in use), Raypak RP 2100 Heater
    , K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I think I've fought off the algae, but I have a filter question...

Backwash when pressure rises 20-25%. So around 25. The skimmer sock should be catching what the filer would have. Just let it run and it will clear up. Dirtier filter filters better than freshly backwashed.
    13700 gal, 32'x16'x54" AG oval, vinyl, Echo Canyon II, 8500 series, Narrow Yard, Safety Fence & Stair, Sta-Rite Crystal Flow T-210WF, 44 GPM, Hayward SP1580TL 1HP Pump, Aqua Luminator, Festiva wedding cake steps, March 2006, TFT-100, Speed-Stir, Sample Sizer. Avatar Credit: TJ Townsend

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Joe. That's what I'd been reading, but I guess I just expected some pressure increase to happen faster. Patience...patience...which I've also read in so many of these threads. :P
    16x32 IG Vinyl 22K gal, Tagelus Deluxe High Rate Sand Filter TA-60D, Jacuzzi Magnum Force 1MF-S pump, Hayward CL-200 Chlorine Feeder (NOT in use), Raypak RP 2100 Heater
    , K-2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have passed OCLT and your CC is less than .5 it may be time to think about adding DE powder to your sand filter to allow it to filter smaller particles.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

What Tim said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ You are right there now.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks! I've seen references to doing this. I was trying to avoid spending MORE money, but at this point, hey - what's another $25.
    , K-2006 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

LOL but this $25 will last FOREVER! I cannot even tell I have used any of mine!

AND it will save you money--------------the faster you clear up your pool the less bleach you have to buy so...........LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by brownhound View Post
    Thanks! I've seen references to doing this. I was trying to avoid spending MORE money, but at this point, hey - what's another $25.
    That's when you pester friends, family, and neighbors to see who has a DE filter. Then you beg a margarine tub or coffee can full.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!