Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What stays on top: Rainwater or chlorinated water

1. Back To Top    #1

What stays on top: Rainwater or chlorinated water

Rainy season in the Philippines and the rainwater is lowering our Poolwater ph to 6.8 from 7.5 so I had to add 1650 grams of soda ash.

If the rainwater stays t least for a while on top of the chlorinated water, an overflow drain tube could drain the excess rainwater.

So what floats on top? Does anyone has an answer to that?

I use granulated trichlor about 5 or more ppm.
    Hayward Pump SP2805X7 Hayward Sandfilter S210T used by switching a manual threewayvalve for either a IG overflowpool with 3700 Gal. or a second IG skimmerpool with 5550 Gal., both tiled with white cement grout and white cement/beachsandrim, the upper pool with sculptured white cement/beachsandwaterfall. Test results: All OK

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: What stays on top: Rainwater or chlorinated water

If the pump is off, I would think the rain will stay on the top layer for at least a little while. Although it is likely colder than the pool water so will start to mix from convection.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: What stays on top: Rainwater or chlorinated water

To get the pH lowered that much your rain must be quite acidic AND you must have an awful lot of rain. This chart shows average monthly rainfall in July of around 13" and in August of around 16" so that is indeed a lot of rain especially if it doesn't evaporate quickly (and it probably doesn't given the humidity).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"