Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hard water vs. Water softener

1. Back To Top    #1

Hard water vs. Water softener

Water where I live is very hard at a 17 if anyone can relate that's my setting. Filled n set up with hard water but when i was let loose with it by myself the pool school said it was better to use my softener but a lil more use on the salt.Any ideas about this.also I'm a newb
    17k g, IG free formed, plaster/bella blue,varaible pump, cartridge filter, with water feature.New build 6/17/15 builder set start up and pump filter cleaning time. Runs 12am-2am clean cycle runs 2750 rpms n from 2am-8am 1200 rpms

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hard water vs. Water softener

Do you have a test kit? One of the Recommended Test Kits?

Use that to test your water for CH. In fact, post all your test results.

A residential water softener can be used but it does not turn over fast enough to be viable to soften thousands of gallons in a single filling.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome back ARV! Sure, hard water can have its concerns on some pool owners, and no doubt certain locations are known for having exceptionally hard water. This can impact the shell of the pool and/or equipment and hardware. But that's why we emphasize testing and posting results to confirm if there's a need to be concerned. Since your pool is a new build, you certainly have plaster concerns and warranty issues to contend with. Have you seen our plaster start-up page: Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

If you could post a full set of results with your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006 that would be great.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm using the 5 in one given at start up will order new test kit asap.but for now I've checked at Leslie's to compare to my results n are pretty close. Although they tried to sell me this pool stuff for 60 dollars for phosfrate I believe. Lol I laughed n just bought my acid.lol numbers chlorine ideal ph on the lower side but I just brought my alkalinity down from 8.2 to 7.6 took a couple weeks though. Leslie's says rest results are within peramiters. So I've all down shocked n now converting from tablets to bleach as of tonite. Thanks for all the help most of my questions were answered just by reading what an awesome site .
    17k g, IG free formed, plaster/bella blue,varaible pump, cartridge filter, with water feature.New build 6/17/15 builder set start up and pump filter cleaning time. Runs 12am-2am clean cycle runs 2750 rpms n from 2am-8am 1200 rpms