Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC Cement

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC Cement

Is there one type that is favored here. I was looking at Oatey heavy duty(green can). What about the pooltite stuff the pool stores sell?
    24' AG, Jacuzzi CRF 750 Filter, Magnatek 1.5 HP 2 sp pump
    BBB Method

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PVC Cement

I used the regular clear pvc cement with purple primer. Then I used pipe dope on on threaded connections. No leaks.
    Patriot Arcadia 15' round 52". Pentair Clean and Clear 100 sqft Cartridge filter, 1HP Optiflow pump, Goldline Aquatrol SWG. 2 - 4'x20' solar panels roof mounted. All rigid PVC plumbing. Resin Solar reel with 8mil Thermo-tex solar cover. 14 x 12 deck.

Ovation 15'x24'x52'' AG. Pentair System 3 150 SQ foot cartridge filter, 1 1/2 HP pump.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Anything rated for schedule 40 pipe with the diameter that you are using will be fine. Between the various choices, all good, there are minor variations. The heavy duty cement tends to set up more quickly, so you have less time to get the pipe into the fitting. If you are mixing PVC with CPVC or ABS you need to use an all purpose cement. If you are working at extreme temperatures use an all weather variety. For normal everyday use, almost all of them work fine, just check the rating and be sure it is rated for schedule 40 and not just for DWV.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Medium weight wet/dry is what I have ususlly seen used. No matter which one you choose do NOT skip the all important cleaning and priming steps if you want a secure bond.

5. Back To Top    #5
    New Jersey shore

i personally like the clear primer and glue.. keeps everything looking neat and clean. The poollite drys very very fast which is why most pool store sells it. But ive only seen it in the blue color which i dont like. Its great for underground repairs and new plumbing
    [center:3gj9kdnn]Matt Heck
    Serving Ocean co. NJ
    COMPANY INFO BELOW ... 2995187987[/center:3gj9kdnn]