Turning pool into a saltwater pool w/questions

FLJulz

Jul 7, 2015
West Melbourne, FL
Hello, I'm turning my Intex pool into a saltwater pool. I'm not sure if I'm doing this right so I would like to ask if I'm on the right track and what else I need. I bought aIntex Krystal Clear Saltwater System, 15,000 Gallon and a Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump. Did I buy the right system to turn this into a saltwater pool? And what else do I need chemicals or other wise to do this right? There are way too many websites that say different things. So, any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated before I start this journey! :) Thank you in advance!!

Welcome to the forum! There's a specific salt water forum on here, but I think you're okay in the "Just getting started" section. I'm no expert on the equipment you list, but I can tell you the best advice you'll get here is to follow the links in my signature and read up in pool school. You'll need a recommended test kit and take control of your chemicals instead of relying on the pool store. A salt water chlorine generator is an awesome thing to have. You'll need to make sure your CYA/chlorine levels are good and you'll have a sparkling clear pool that is low maintenance.

Welcome to TFP!

You can see our recommended levels for Saltwater Pools and they will work well for you. See the ABCs in pool School to get started as well as the other articles for managing and understanding the Pool Chemstry Basics. Our cornerstone is knowledge first, then understanding what, and why you add something to a pool. We do our own testing with a proper kit, and add only what is needed of products that introduce minimal side effects. Lots of folks will be here to help you with questions when you have them. It sounds like you have the right system for doing a Salt Pool provided it's sized well for your situation.

Welcome to TFP!

You can see our recommended levels for Saltwater Pools and they will work well for you. See the ABCs in pool School to get started as well as the other articles for managing and understanding the Pool Chemstry Basics. Our cornerstone is knowledge first, then understanding what, and why you add something to a pool. We do our own testing with a proper kit, and add only what is needed of products that introduce minimal side effects. Lots of folks will be here to help you with questions when you have them. It sounds like you have the right system for doing a Salt Pool provided it's sized well for your situation.
Thank you for your information. I saw the ABC's, ....I think I need to unclutter my head from all the other websites and then start reading! [emoji4] And thank you for the welcome, it's already great being part of this group!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum! There's a specific salt water forum on here, but I think you're okay in the "Just getting started" section. I'm no expert on the equipment you list, but I can tell you the best advice you'll get here is to follow the links in my signature and read up in pool school. You'll need a recommended test kit and take control of your chemicals instead of relying on the pool store. A salt water chlorine generator is an awesome thing to have. You'll need to make sure your CYA/chlorine levels are good and you'll have a sparkling clear pool that is low maintenance.
Thank you Zimm for the welcome and advice! Yes, I'm definitely trying to get away from store advice and know my stuff! LOL[emoji4] But, before I found this forum I read too much stuff that was contradicting, which has made it a bit confusing. Thank you again for the advice and direction!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You're welcome. If you read other sites, keep in mind that most advice usually has something to do with selling you stuff! We don't sell anything here, although I will put in a plug for the TF100 test kit which is sold by the site sponsor tftestkits.com Great place to buy from, fast shipping, yadda yadda yadda. I learned the hard way to buy an extra bottle of R-013 reagent because you'll run out of it first (CYA testing), it's cheap and not really worth paying shipping just for that one bottle down the road. The speed stir is a nice to have- I went my first summer without it and it's worth the money to have it.

After that, you'll only need minimal chemicals. If you ever have a water issue, just post the results here on the forum and you'll get the correct advice to fix it!

I buy my salt at Wal-Mart- $5 a bag instead of $15 from the pool store.

just make sure you don't waste your money on "pool salt", just go to home depot, walmart, lowes, etc and buy the salt for water softeners....BUT...just make sure its the pure salt, not the version with anything added for iron, etc. it should say pure salt on the label, or 100% sodium chloride, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.