Black algae

Debe

Jul 7, 2015
Carmel, IN
We have a 35,000 gallon, in-ground vinyl pool. Last week, water was beautiful, all chemicals perfect, then black spots became evident in the deep end of pool. These spots aren't huge, but they don't respond to brushing at all. Went to pool store ---they said it was probably black algae. Bought algaecide, followed directions, upped FC, brushed, waited. Zero results. Did entire process again---algaecide, shock, brush, backwash, etc. still no results! Any ideas? We are leaving town for two weeks and I'm terrified of returning to a "black hole"!!!

Welcome to TFP! I am sorry you have this issue with your pool.

Let me ask first off do you have a recommended test kit?

I encourage you to read through pool school. There is a lot of great information there.
Start with the ABC's of pool water chemistry.

Can you take a pic and upload it to photobucket, then copy the IMG code and past it here. Pictures help us help you

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You need to definitively identify the spots before you know how to proceed. Can you scrape them off with a fingernail? If so, if you spread it on some paper is it green?

It is pretty rare for black algae to just appear in a pool unless it is very neglected.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.