Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Noise

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Noise

Can there be any other reason than this thing is starting its death cry?

Pump noise - YouTube

It just started doing this on startup this morning. Pump is fully primed and has been. My guess, is I need to start shopping for a new one? If so, any suggestions are welcome.
    ~19k Gal, IG Vinyl, Hayward SP2607X10 1hp pump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter, built in 70s, has 8 deep end with diving board, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 1 low hole, Polaris booster pump PB4-60, old Polaris robot not sure model, Rheem P-M266A-EN-C 266,000 BTU heater, solar cover, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speedstir

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pump Noise

That noise is a bearing failing.
    Bearings can be replaced.
    Motors can be rebuilt.
    Motors can be replaced.
    You don't have to replace the whole pump.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

3. Back To Top    #3

I had this with my first pump, it worked fine but shrieked like a wraith. One day I found it turned off, likely my neighbour could not stand the sound. I bought a new one, served me 6 years. (I abused it).

4. Back To Top    #4

It sounds like I can run it a bit before dealing with bearings??? Maybe a couple of hours or so to get things circulated... Plus, it'll be a few days or more before I can get to the fix. Will I run any danger of long term damage/irreversible, or is my best bet to just shut it down completely until I can fix it? I haven't run it today at all. I started it this morning and this is what I heard.

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to dig around on youtube and see about the bearing fix. Probably not too bad, I'm thinking.
    ~19k Gal, IG Vinyl, Hayward SP2607X10 1hp pump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter, built in 70s, has 8 deep end with diving board, 1 skimmer, 1 return, 1 low hole, Polaris booster pump PB4-60, old Polaris robot not sure model, Rheem P-M266A-EN-C 266,000 BTU heater, solar cover, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

Mine worked for almost a year like this, just the sound became real loud eventually. As long as it pumps and does not trip anything, sound is the only botheration. But.....you never know with them pumps so.....I had an above ground pool with flexible hoses, so it was very forgiving. Easy to fix things. So I took many risks, most times unpunished.
    In your case....if the potential risk is costly, do not tempt it. Run it in the meanwhile, but start working towards fixing it (or rather replacing).

If the pump is easily detacheable (mine was, it is a snap.....literally, a snap ring, that is it, Hayward Matrix) you could see who screams, and then if you could order pump or motor separately, great (not sure if it is possible).