1st time having problems 3rd year using TFP methods - guidance?

May 23, 2013
Rockwood, Michigan
TA = 100
pH = 8.0
CYA = 35
FC = 4.0
CC = 0.0
CH = 110

My problem is cloudy pool and the time it's taking to clear.
I'm out of town, trying to direct wife.
She returned home Sunday, I'm gone until Wednesday.
Admit I haven't taken good care of it lately because so much rain and cold weather in Michigan, got out of routine.
Last Thursday AM was cloudy with green hue. Was mad at myself as I had basically ignored it 4 previous days.
I didn't think things could turn that quickly...why so sensitive?! But we did have downpours of rain!
I added liquid chlorine to get to 14ppm, brushed, kept filter running (removed shut off tab).
Friday AM green hue gone but still cloudy. Raised chlorine back to 14, then left with family, keeping filter on 24 hours.
When she got home Sunday, told me clear but "stuff" at bottom.
I figured this was the remnants of clearing the green an pool being undisturbed.
Once she ran the auto vacuum and kids swam, got cloudy again...figure this is the the stuff at bottom getting mixed in again.
Had her put in 1/2 gallon chjorine figured that would be close to 14ppm again.
Monday after she got home from work she says it's even cloudier.
Had her take sample to pool store (easier than explaining to her how to use the kit test).
Readings above from them. Obviously pool ate more chlorine than I thought it would.
They told her TA off, their range recommendation 125 - 150 which is higher than my typical target of 100.
The sold her stuff to raise TA, lower PH, clarifier. No biggie, can take back what we don't use.
Once she got info to me, I told her not to do anything about TA as pool store range different from TFP.
Told her to go ahead add stuff to lower pH. So....that should be in progress.
Also told her I was OK with her adding clarifier. I don't use it, but she wants to hurry to get pool clear for visitors so I figured it can't hurt.
Filter OK, was backwashed before I left and hasn't moved the needle.
I just had her add chlorine to get back to 14ppm and told her how to use kit to measure and maintain that level until I get home.
Keep filter running 24 hours.
I'm not sure their measure of CH is correct....but that wouldn't make for cloudy water so I can deal with that when I get home I think.
My kit chems for CH seem to not turn right color so I knew I probably had to replace but didn't think I had a problem with this as I never do.
I guess I'm learning I have to stay disciplined even if the weather isn't cooperating.
But is there anything else someone would recommend to clear up quicker (besides vacuum to waste, which no way I can have her do)?
The pool hasn't looked as good this year as it has the last couple years, but I attribute that to me getting a bit lazy with no one really using it.
I'd like to get back to crystal clear.
Is the advice to just stick with it, or anything new?
FYI the pool did pass overnight test prior to this event.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

SLAM That is what your pool needs. Have your wife sign on here and go to this link

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Tell her to get the PH down to 7.2 After she starts adding the bleach to get her FC up to SLAM level she should not test the PH again as it does not test correctly with a FC over 10.

Tell her the more often she tests the FC and get and keeps it at SLAM level the faster it will clear.

Kim

That's it, you need to SLAM, and no more going to the pool store for testing either. It will only confuse things and cause problems. No more clarifiers either. Chlorine and filtration will cure this. She can learn the kit and you don't have to explain it. I'm sure she is more than capable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.