Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is this?

I notice the water going into my pump, while off looks murky. When I turn the pump on, all that murky water blows into my pool for about 5 seconds, then all is clear. Almost like some DE is getting through? My water is clear and none of my numbers look off, just curious if anyone had and ideas.

24' AGP DE filter.

24' x 54" Oceanic Round AGP, 1090 Hayward Skimmer, EC-40 Filter system, Automatic Chlorinator. Pool will be in Full sun for most of the day (9am-6pm).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is this?

Is your filter draining backward toward the pump when the pump is off? Is there air in the filter when you turn it on that you can purge out the top?

That is my guess ... that you have a leak in the filter somewhere that is allowing it to drain.

- - - Updated - - -

But wait, if your pump and filter are below the water level, then the filter can not drain like that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Funny... I did have a small leak in my hose going from the filter back to the pool, but I have since fixed that. Maybe that was my culprit?

24' x 54" Oceanic Round AGP, 1090 Hayward Skimmer, EC-40 Filter system, Automatic Chlorinator. Pool will be in Full sun for most of the day (9am-6pm).

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a tad bit of a blow out in mine when I power my pump on. It's always done that with 2 different pump/filters (DE) I've owned. If it's dirty water, clean your filter.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I had that with a bad seal on the skimmer lid (the skimmer on the pump, not on the pool). Maybe because the return in the pool is lower than the skimmer in the pool, the bad seal would allow water to flow backwards from the return, through the DE, and into the skimmer. I could stand there are watch and over the course of about an hour the skimmer would slowly fill will DE haze from the filter side. It was a VERY slow leak, but enough of one to cause the reverse flow to happen.

Some pool lube on the O-ring fixed it. (I have since bought a new filter anyway - the old housing had spider cracking all over it, and the top seal was going, which is not worth replacing)

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

6. Back To Top    #6

Pool lube on the O ring where? The plastic skimmer lid? Sorry, I'm still sort of new to all the equipment. I think I have a handle on the pool school and pool math and my water is generally very sparkly...

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jimmerz View Post
    Pool lube on the O ring where? The plastic skimmer lid? Sorry, I'm still sort of new to all the equipment. I think I have a handle on the pool school and pool math and my water is generally very sparkly...

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
    Lube the pump strainer basket lid o-ring.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks