Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bleach vs 3" Tablets

1. Back To Top    #1

Bleach vs 3" Tablets

Is it really preferable to use liquid bleach as a chlorine source instead of the 3" tablets in order to keep CYA levels from getting too high? I'm new and still reading...eyes are almost crossed now.
    18,000 gallons
    In-ground
    Gunite
    Chlorine
    DE Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bleach vs 3" Tablets

Without a doubt, bleach is the preferred method of chlorinating your pool! Pucks add CYA to your pool and the only way to lower your CYA is to dilute (water replacement). Pucks can be useful, but they are a terrible source for primary chlorination.
    39YO 13K gallon former SWAMP/MONEY PIT, concrete bottom/Fiberglass Walls, Ecotech VS pump, Hayward Sand Filter, Dolphin DX5 Plus, Loop-Loc safety cover and YES, I have a TFT-100 test kit!

Shock Level and Maintain - CL/CYA Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

I would just append this to the end of jaduck's post:

... unless you are in a area with a lot of rain, and a short season where you at least partially drain the pool for winter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

The other option is a higher % chlorinating liquid. Texas has HASA Dealers that sell 12.5% chlorinating liquid. I'm not sure of your exact location, but there is a HASA dealer in North Richland, TX.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

What about if ya live in a highly hot area n dehydration is very high n putting in a couple inches a week it seems but I'm new too so any advice eventually I'll detour to this sites ways fully. Sorry a beginner too
    17k g, IG free formed, plaster/bella blue,varaible pump, cartridge filter, with water feature.New build 6/17/15 builder set start up and pump filter cleaning time. Runs 12am-2am clean cycle runs 2750 rpms n from 2am-8am 1200 rpms

6. Back To Top    #6

You need to know your CYA level first. If it's low, then by all means use the pucks. If it's high, then only chlorine/bleach so you don't raise the CYA too high.
    45'x12' 17k gal, IG plaster, Pool Pilot Nano+ SWG, 1/2hp Whisperflo pump, PAC-FAB TA-60D sand filter, Raypak 266 heater
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = Trouble Free Pool

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!

It's worth noting that Cya builds up as water evaporates, as with other dissolved solids. Replacing water because of evaporation does not lower Stabilizer (Cya) levels no matter the amount of evaporation you have. Generally it builds up faster in hot dry climates with little rain.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

I haven't used a puck in three years, only bleach, primarily from Aldi's. I get comments all the time about how good the water looks. Thinking about it I don't think our current pool has ever had pucks in it since we set it up.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks everyone! I am checking into bleach from Aldi as well. My CYA is between 30-40 so not high (I just drained 3' and refilled). I'll continue with the bleach as my primary chlorine source and will just use the pucks to increase CYA if it gets low. I have about 30# worth of pucks in the garage...

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I would just append this to the end of jaduck's post:

... unless you are in a area with a lot of rain, and a short season where you at least partially drain the pool for winter.
    This...I have about a 4 months swim season, then we pump it halfway down and cover for the winter. I shock with bleach upon opening, then use pucks to raise the CYA each year and then bleach to maintain after.
    21,100 IG Vinyl
    Hayward Pump
    Sand Filter
    TFPC
    Taylor K-2006 Kit